How to Be a Minimalist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

minimalism

noun min·i·mal·ism \ ˈmi-nə-mə-ˌli-zəm \

a style or technique (as in music, literature, or design) that is characterized by extreme spareness and simplicity

Minimalism has become an increasingly sought out style of many wardrobes, living spaces, possessions, and overall quality of life.

Things minimalism are not:

• Living with 100 items or less

• Living in a tiny home

• Walking or biking everywhere

• Living in hard-to-pronounce, exotic places

• Only wearing white clothes

Minimalism is really just a mindset. It is a deliberate mindset that you can take on that deviates from the most common way of thinking. The problem of our generation today is that we invest too much of ourselves in our belongings. We are materialistic, and forsake our own wellbeing, our relationships, our personal growth, and our bank accounts (thanks to #treatyoself) all for the sake of looking for happiness.

Minimalism deviates from materialism in that it draws you away from your possessions in exchange for what really matters in the grand scheme of things. Here are some ways that minimalism can help you:

• Reclaim our time

• Live in the moment

• Pursue our passions

• Discover our missions

• Experience real freedom

• Create more, consume less

• Focus on our health

• Grow as individuals

• Contribute beyond ourselves

• Rid ourselves of excess stuff

Much discussion about minimalism focuses too heavily on the reduction of physical possessions. However, it’s important to understand that getting rid of excess is a result of being a minimalist. Minimalism is actually about reevaluating your priorities, and stripping away what’s extra — any possessions, relationships, and tendencies that do not bring happiness into your life and that do not bring value to your life.

“How do I do this though? I feel emotionally attached to [insert thing of great sentimental value here].”

The best way to start your journey to minimalism is by starting slow. Grab a trash bag and put any clothes you haven’t worn in the last month or two in it. Put that bag on a shelf for 2 weeks. Did anything in the bag cross your mind? If not, get rid of it. Follow this same process with any toxic people in your life, any toxic relationships, and any bad habits that you do.

Becoming a minimalist gives you more space, more time, and more energy to apply to what really matters in your life. You can fill your room, your wardrobe, your mind, etc., with things that you love.

Prioritize the things that make you happy in life. Leave the rest behind.

LaVonna Wright

Georgia Southern

LaVonna is a Junior at Georgia Southern University. She is currently pursuing a major in English Literature with a minor in Religious Studies. LaVonna worked as a writer for the 2017-2018 school year, and is now the editor for the 2018-2019 school year. She loves all of the softer things in life and aspires to use her passion for written word to help others become the best version of themselves. Check out her personal blog: lavonnawrites.com or follow her on Instagram @_lwright "Never lose an opportunity of seeing anything beautiful, for beauty is God’s handwriting." -Ralph Waldo Emerson
Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.