matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How Alicia Keys went from Grammy Award Winner to Global Ambassador

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

Alicia Keys, grammy nominated artist and global ambassador. Alicia Keys is a singer, songwriter, musician and pianist. At 12 years old, she composed her own songs and by age 15, she signed with the record label Columbia Records.

In 2001, Alicia Keys released her debut album, “Songs in a Minor.” The album received worldwide success and provided Alicia Keys her first Billboard Hot 100 number one single with her song, Fallin. Her album also sold 16 million copies worldwide and earned Alicia Keys five Grammy Awards in 2002.

In 2004, Alicia Keys also released her first live album, “Unplugged,” and became the first woman to debut at number one with an MTV Unplugged album. Today, Alicia Keys has won 15 grammy awards, gained various Billboard Hot 100 number one singles, and has released many number one albums.

While it is clear that Alicia Keys is a multi-talented artist on stage, what is not known is the extensive work she does off the stage to give back to others.

Keep A Child Alive

In 2003, Alicia Keys became the global ambassador and co-founder of the non-profit organization, Keep a Child Alive. Keep a Child Alive works to provide medicine, care and support to families affected by the HIV and AIDS epidemic in Africa and India. As Keys grew up during the time the U.S was beginning to become aware of the AIDS epidemic, she learned more about the issue. After, seeing the effects of it, Keys worked to gain help and aide for those affected by the epidemic.

The Black Ball

In addition to being the global ambassador and co-founder for the Keep A Child Alive organization, Alicia Keys is also the musical director for the organization’s fundraising gala called “The Black Ball”. The Black Ball consists of various performances from many musical artists and is used as a way to raise money to support the Keep A Child Alive organization.

ReAct Now: Music & Relief

When she is not performing, Keys still uses her musical talents to help others. In 2005, she performed at the event, “ReAct Now: Music & Relief” which was a benefit concert used to help people affected by Hurricane Katrina. 

Frum Tha Ground Up

In 2007 Alicia Keys became a spokesperson for the organization, “Frum Tha Ground Up.” This organization is devoted to helping the youth in America by providing them with the tools they need to succeed in all aspects of life. As a spokesperson for the organization, Alicia Keys has provided four $5,000 scholarships for underprivileged and disadvantaged students around the U.S so that they can have a better chance to receive a college education. 

Empowered

In collaboration with the organization, Greater Than AIDS, Alicia Keys developed the campaign, Empowered. Empowered works to bring more information about the AIDS and HIV epidemic to women around the country.

Whether it be on stage or around the world, Alicia Keys is always looking to help others. Her list of musical accomplishments is just as substantial as the work she does globally to help others. When Alicia Keys is not performing, it is likely you will see her searching for ways to make a positive impact on the world around her.

Jasmine Alexander

Georgia Southern '23

Georgia Southern University writer.
Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.