This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

Name: Kayla Duffie

Classification: New to the game

Major: Economics with an emphasis in International Studies (don’t quote me, it may get changed a couple times before I find my niche)

Why Did You Join Her Campus?

For one, Her Campus gives great advice and made me less nervous coming into my freshman year.  I’ve also always been extremely interested in creative writing.  Her Campus gives me the platform to get to know more about my fellow Eagles and express myself.  In the end, I believe Her Campus is helping me more than I am helping them.  They’re giving me a reason to completely immerse myself into my new surroundings, something I would not have done on my own.

What Other Organizations Are You a Part Of?

I went a little crazy with joining organizations.  Of course, I write for Georgia Southern’s chapter of Her Campus.  I am also currently a part of Pushing for Success, a co-ed mentorship group and Glam Squad for Visage Fashion Company.  I also make sure to keep up with RHA (Resident’s Hall Association), The Multicultural Student Center, and the Office of Leadership and Community Engagement (OLCE).  The best way to find an organization that fits you is to go to the interest meetings!  Southern has over 300 student organizations.  Can’t find one you want to be a part of?  Make your own! 

Is #Collegelife What You Expected It to Be?

College life has actually been easier than I was expecting *knock on wood*.  I have a lot of free time even after studying and completing upcoming assignments.  The teachers are extremely helpful.  They care if you succeed as long as you, yourself care about your success.  I will enjoy it for now because I’m told it gets harder.  I’m trying to learn some tips and tricks from my upperclassmen friends and mentors for those harder times to come.  (BTW: don’t be afraid to talk to the upperclassmen, they remember what it was like!).

How Would Your Friends Categorize You?

I am the mom of the group.  I make sure everyone has their work done and are doing what they’re supposed to do.  I make sure they’re safe and they know to call me when they need help with anything.  It can be schoolwork or a ride and they know I will be wherever they are.

Any Advice to Other Freshmen?

Work ahead!  I can’t stress this enough.  All these assignment due dates come up very quickly.  If you work ahead it will save you stress and free up some time.  Do work whenever you can; in between classes, get that short Folio/ Dropbox assignment done so you won’t have to worry about it later.  That way, you have more time to socialize because let’s admit socialization is the best part of college!  Make sure socialization doesn’t become the focal point of your college years, though.  You came here with a purpose, to get a degree.  Also, don’t forget to get involved.  Go to the events the school and organizations put together.  You never know what you’ll learn or who you’ll meet.  Don’t just sit in your dorm and study and sleep.  Go out, have fun, and make memories while doing it.  These four years will fly by.

writer/blogger hail southern it's now or never
Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.