This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

I went to a small high school before coming to Southern. There weren’t many options when it came to extracurricular activities but I was able to find things I enjoyed (cheerleading and FBLA). Coming from a small high school to Southern wasn’t too hard of an adjustment for me (it really just felt like home here) but what was a shock was how many things there were to do here. While Statesboro itself doesn’t have much to offer, Georgia Southern has so many things for its students boosting 100+ organizations it’s nearly impossible to not find something but it can take some time and effort to find where you fit.

My first year at Southern I did nothing. I had a boyfriend back home so I was spending a lot of time on the phone and getting adjusted to college in general. My second year I tried a lot of different organizations. I tried being on the student paper, joining a sorority, being part of another organization that (now looking back on it) I don’t even actually know what it was for. I applied for organizations I got rejected from, went to meetings for things I had no interest in, I basically I tried everything. At one point I remember calling my dad crying because I was trying all these things and wasn’t finding enjoyment in anything. He, as always talked me off the ledge and reassured me that I still had time to find where I felt like I belong.

When I started my junior year I was determined to find something but I wasn’t forcing anything on myself. I looked for organizations that I knew I had an interest in already but never followed up on during my sophomore year and reapplied to an organization that had rejected me the previous year. I was excited but I was not allowing myself to stress. I knew that whatever happened I would be ok with the outcome this time.

It took me two years and multiple rejections to find organizations that I actually loved and I felt like were worth committing my time to. No matter where you are in your collegiate experience, a fifth year senior or a freshman, you can find your fit. The best thing about college is you can try nearly everything and (usually) quit with no consequences! Take advantage of this experience because once you do find your space, it’s a great feeling.

.

Nakia Woodley

Georgia Southern

Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.