freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

College Dating:First Dates

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

College is an exciting time for everyone! This is the time you step out of your comfort zone and begin to meet people and network. And one of the best things about meeting new people is the opportunity to maybe hang out with that “special someone” after class. College Dating! To some, hearing “dating” can bring a wave of anxiety over you. But, no need to worry, Georgia Southern Her campus brings you 5 tips to have a successful first date!

1.       Dress for Success: Everyone is big on first impressions. This very outfit could make or break which direction this date goes. If you show up in basketball shorts and a long T-shirt, then you may have lost her interest. Throw on a nice button down, fix your hair and get snazzy! But, do not over do it!

2.       Location: It’s all about the location! This date is for the both of you, so make sure you are doing something you both like to do. You may want to see the basketball game, but he wants to see the new Angelina Jolie movie. Find a good medium and make sure it’s something that pleases you both.

3.       Don’t be Self-Centered: You are more than welcome to talk about yourself and where you are from and all that, but don’t forget to ask your date questions about themselves! Spending the entire date about you makes you seem conceded and uninterested in the other person’s life. Feel free to talk about “that one time at band camp” but make sure you return the story with “and what about you?”

4.       Don’t bring up the Ex: There is nothing more of a turn-off then hearing about your previous relationship. Going on and on about someone you spent time with in the past is irrelevant to the present. Leave your past in the past and enjoy what’s going on in front of you!

5.       Be yourself: At any moment, you can be meeting someone you could spend a very long time with. So never forget to be your true authentic self. Despite your insecurities and worries, always remember that this person is on a date with you for a reason!

Marcell Dussard

Georgia Southern

Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.