Changes to Consider When Starting College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

College life can be difficult to handle at first.  You go from the guidance of mom and dad every day, to doing it on your own within a matter of months.  Now that you’re an adult and more is expected of you, here are some things you should consider making changes to:

Change your social media presence

In high school, social media was more of a popularity contest; but, in college there’s more to your social media accounts than the number of likes and retweets you get.  It’s time to stop posting pictures of you with a red Solo cup and start expressing your intellect.  This doesn’t mean go and delete your Instagram and Twitter accounts and start all over so no one finds those embarrassing tweets from 4th grade.  It means start using social media in a different light.  Social media is an amazing way to connect and network with employers.  Make sure you are posting things they want to see.  Think of it this way: If you don’t want your grandma to see it, you probably don’t want your employer to, either.

Change your diet and exercising:

Mom and dad are no longer here to tell you to eat your vegetables or to unplug your Xbox and get outside.  These are conscious decisions you have to make on your own; decisions that can be detrimental to your health later if you don’t make the right ones now.  Start with small changes.  Add a fruit or vegetable to your plate during one of your trips to the Dining Commons or Lakeside.  Can’t find the motivation to work out?  Take a kinesiology class, a.k.a P.E.  By taking the class, you will be required to show up and participate.  Don’t take the bus or drive to places that are within walking distance.  The RAC also has various workout programs throughout like day, including cycling and Zumba.  Grab a friend and get moving for at least 30 minutes a day.

Change your friends:

I know you and “so and so” have been friends since sandboxes.  However, not every person you have crossed paths with or are going to cross paths with is healthy for your growth as a person; coming to college makes a person learn a lot about themselves and the people they surround themselves with.  You may find yourself gravitating away from your old friends and the company that you used to keep and that’s ok.  Don’t stay in a friendship just because you guys have known each other for years.  Find people who are as motivated and as goal orientated as you are.

Change your social habits:

College life is about creating habits that will be beneficial later in life.  You’re thrown into this world of due dates, stress, and exhaustion and need to learn how to adapt.  First things first, get a planner!  Plan your days out and find the space where you can write in study time and social time.  If you’re just going with the flow of the day, you may not get anything done or be rushing to get done.  Don’t spend all day in class and in your dorm room.  Make sure to get out and connect with your peers and faculty and staff.  Don’t only allow your social life to revolve around the party life.

Change study habits:

This can be an extremely difficult change.  In high school, your teacher gave you all the notes and a study guide so you knew exactly what was on the test and how much you had to memorize.  In college, a syllabus is given to you at the beginning of the semester and you are expected to know the material by the test day.  You may think you don’t need to study…until you fail your first test.  Try these two study tips:

• Split a paper down the middle and take class/lecture notes on one side of the paper.On the other side of the paper, write notes from the chapters you need to read.Make notes to you about vocabulary or phrases you don’t know.
  • Try making notecards on Chegg or Quizlet.This way the notes are accessible from any location.By typing these notes, you are taking time to revisit the material.Simply flip thru the cards while eating lunch or waiting for your next class to start.

If you have questions, it is always best to contact your professor.  Make sure to attend classes!  There are many teachers that give extra credit points for attendance that may come in handy later.

writer/blogger hail southern it's now or never
Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.