element5 digital MEzqoN8p6C0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
element5 digital MEzqoN8p6C0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Campus Cutie: Joseph Hines ’16

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

If you’ve seen Joseph Hines around campus you’ve seen a tall, confident, charismatic, and handsome young man; however; if you’ve never had the pleasure of speaking with him Her Campus Georgia Southern has a just a few things you should know about this campus cutie before you approach him or he approaches you…  Her Campus Georgia Southern presents: Campus Cutie Joseph Hines: Alpha, Honorable, Dignified, and Blissfully Comfortable as He Is…  

Background Information:

Name: Joseph Hines

Hometown: Marietta, GA

Major/Classification: Junior Marketing Major

Age: 20

Relationship Status: Single

Her Campus (HC): What are your Georgia Southern pastimes? 

Joseph Hines (JH): Working out, playing ball down at the RAC, the occasional stroll (but that’s neither here nor there), and hanging out with my friends from freshman year. We have a really good bond and I can talk to them about everything.  

HC: Why did you choose to attend Georgia Southern?

JH: It made the most sense financially.  I had a lot of other options, but I fell in love with the campus.  It was just large enough that I would see different people every day but just small enough that I would see people I knew every day. 

HC: Why did you choose Alpha Phi Alpha?

JH: I was in an organization called: Pathways to Success my freshman year and my mentors were Alphas.  These were also the only guys I saw doing anything positive on campus.  There are so many figures in black history that were Alphas for example, MLK and Frederick Douglass (even though he’s honorary).  Black History is Alpha History.  Plus, the Alpha’s were the first and if you’re second you’re just first in line to be last.

HC: What other organizations if any, are you involved in on campus?

JH: Eagles for Eagles, I’m on the executive board for NPHC (National Panhellenic Council), and my own organization the Millionaire Mindset Club.  I’m also on a radio show called the Daily Dose.

HC: What is your most memorable experience as an Alpha?

JH: My probate; it was live and they have it on video.  That’s an experience you’ll never forget and we were tight and clean and that made me happy.

HC: What is your ideal date?

JH: It doesn’t have to do as much with the location, as it has to do with the person.  The ideal date for me could be at Starbucks and we can just talk for 2 or 3 hours about life and things we vibe with.  It doesn’t necessarily have to be we have to go here, we have to go there it’s just really how I vibe with you.  Because that’s how my last girlfriend and I got together. We were supposed to go to the movies but we got kicked out because I think I didn’t have my ID, and they were like “you gotta go.”  We just went to Starbucks and we ended up talking for about 3 or 4 hours and that was a really good date. 

HC: Do you prefer Joseph, Joey, or Joe?

JH: It really doesn’t matter most people call me Joseph.  My family calls me Joey and certain girls call me Joe. 

HC: Do you have a type and if so, what type of woman would fit that description?

JH:I don’t got no type I only mess with her if she got Landrum swipes.”  You want me to tell you what it used to be and what it is now?

HC: Of course!

JH:  When I was younger it was bad because I went to a private school. So like at first it used to be the stereotypical she gotta be light skinned and have long hair but that was before I went to college. Because I didn’t have a large amount of women to pick from back then.  Now, my ideal type today is: it doesn’t matter if you’re light or dark, it’s more like if I vibe with you.  I need her to make me feel like I gotta be on my game. So, like I need her to be like wanted by people to a certain extent.

HC: So it’s safe to say the chase never really ends for you?

JH:  I can’t feel comfortable.  I have to have a woman who’s just on her stuff.  She can’t make me feel like I’m better than her. She has to be my equal or a little better than me. So I can keep trying to get to where she is.  

HC: Who is your celebrity crush?

JH: Paula Patton and Zoe Saldaña.

HC: Where do you see yourself in 5 years10 years?

JH: 5 years wealth management or like a sales consultant…10 years being like an entrepreneur getting into real estate just doing different things like investing moves.

HC: To me you give off the aura of you being very easy going and very comfortable in your own skin and really genuinely comfortable in your own skin and at 20 years old that’s very admirable.  Were you always this way or did you ever go through periods of low self-esteem?

JH: Oh yeah, there was always a process. When I was kid, I went to an all black school and I was one of the lightest kids there and I used to get made fun of. So, I had to learn how to jone (make fun of people) and stuff; because I wasn’t just gonna be made fun of everyday.  But then it switched because in 6th grade. I went to a predominately white school and there were only like 3 black people in my grade.  Then I had to go through that switch and I remember I used to get made fun of because I didn’t fit.  I feel like going through that made me be able to relate to people.  I was able to relate to people that weren’t cool and that made me more humble. That’s why I never look down on people or overly try to talk about people.

HC: What are your plans for Spring Break?

JH: I’m either A going to out to Miami and work this concert or B go to Memphis and visit my aunt; but I’m probably not going to really go out.  Because I don’t drink, I don’t smoke, and yeah I like to party but a whole week of that is too much.  Also, half of the girls you meet there ain’t really girls you want to mess with anyway because half of those girls have the “heebie jeebies,” anyway and you’re definitely running a risk.

HC: From what I’ve been told you’re very popular and you’re attractive, but for you to be in a frat and not to drink or smoke that defies the norm. Did you ever drink before? What is that all about?

JH: I’ve actually never drank alcohol or smoked.

HC: Wow! So you’ve never had a taste of alcohol?

JH: That is the most surprising thing when I tell people that.  So whenever people see me at the club they think I’m “turnt,” but I’m really drinking coke or sprite and little do people know that coke and sprite are free in the club.

HC: So you’re really one of those people that can have a good time without drinking and smoking?

JH: I feel like alcohol, weed, and black and milds have given people the illusion that they need that to have a good time.  I feel like people become so dependent on them to have a good time.  I feel like people forget how it were when they were kids.  When we were kids we didn’t have to drink and smoke to have fun.  I feel like not drinking and smoking have taught me how to live in the moment and have fun. It’s really about your attitude when you go to a party you can make your own fun.

HC: What is your dream job?

JH: I feel like people put too much emphasis on a job.  I feel like a dream job, that would be anything that involves my talents and my gifts so me being able to talk, present, interact, and serve people.

Here are few of Joseph’s Favorite things:

Color: Black

Holiday: “I don’t do holidays…. It’s Christmas.”

TV Shows: Blacklist and Walking Dead

Music Artists: Drake, JCole, Party Next Door

Food: Panda Express Orange Chicken

Joseph’s Do’s and Don’ts (What turns him ON and what turns him OFF):

Do’s:

1)  Be funny because he is very sarcastic.

2) Be goal driven and not easily impressed by him. 

3) Be intellectual be able to teach him something.

Don’ts:

1)     Don’t be Lazy.

2)     Don’t be drinking and smoking all the time; have something else going on. “Moderation is Key.”

3)     Don’t be Boring.

4)     Don’t be negative because he’s a very positive person and that will just ruin his mood.

3 Facts about Joseph:

1) He doesn’t watch TV (with the exception of NETFLIX).

2) He doesn’t drink.

3) He doesn’t smoke.

Bianca Yarde

Georgia Southern

Bianca is a student at Georgia Southern University in Statesboro, GA, studying Spanish and Psychology. A Native New Yorker, she prides herself on her “tell it like it is,” personality. In her free time she enjoys writing, reading, watching gangster and classic movies, and volunteering. Her mission in life is to help others. After graduation, she plans to become a teacher and open a bakery.
Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.