Campus Celebrity: Thomas Jones ’14

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

It’s a bird… It’s a plane… It’s T-Jizzle riding through the hood on a longboard? Her Campus is proud to present our Campus Celebrity of the Week, the one and only Thomas Jones and the Longboarders of Georgia Southern University. Mr. Jones, founder and former president of the organization, takes a break from thrashing to sit down with Her Campus and drop some knowledge on us about the Longboarders of GSU.

Name: Thomas Jones

Alias: T-Jizzle

Hometown: Lilburn (Killburn), GA

Age: 22

Year/Major: Senior/Information Technology

Dream Job: Data Scientist

Favorite Skate Shoe: Adidas Campus Hi-tops

HC: Hey Thomas!

TJ: Braaaah!

HC: What made you first pick up a board? How long did it take you to learn and get used to cruising?

TJ: My first true experience with skating was in middle school. I had a street deck (skateboard known to everyone else) and rode around on that until my mom ran it over with her van. I had seen longboards around, but I didn’t really get interested in them until I came to GSU. I got a longboard because I loved watching videos of all the cool slides dudes were doing. I had to partake in the gnarl too! Since I had prior experience skating, transitioning to a longboard was quite easy. Maybe two days.

HC: Not only were you the first president of the organization, but also the founder. What made you want to start such a student organization?

TJ: I loved the sport so much, so why not start a student organization? The number of people who actually skated on campus at that time was quite small. Me and my friend Chris noticed the increasing number of longboarders on campus and we thought we should try to capitalize on it. I am extremely happy with where the club is now. We have taken trips and increased the number of members on campus. I mean a lot of people skate now! Hell, even the University Store noticed us and they now carry longboards. I think that growth is due in part to the environment and presence that we’ve established here with Longboarders of Georgia Southern.

HC: What is your favorite board trick and why?

TJ: My favorite trick is most definitely the heel-side standy. It is basically a trick where you go down a hill and slide with the board sideways- toes forward. It always looks dope and it’s fun to try to see how long you can hold it out. The most I’ve held it out for was about 10 feet.

HC: What is your favorite board brand? Could you tell us a little about it and why you love it?

TJ: My favorite board brand is Bustin. They are a company based out of Brooklyn, New York. I like them because Bustin’s decks are relatively cheap and diverse. They have a variety of boards to match different disciplines of longboarding. Plus all of their skaters are DOPE.

HC: Tell us a little about Skate Saturdays at the PAC?

TJ: The skate sessions on Saturdays (at 2 pm!) are pretty much just weekly socials. We discuss life and skate. If you want to learn, we’ll teach you. If you want to practice some new tricks, it’s a good way to get it in and receive feedback. We’re all a chill group that loves fun and adventure.

HC: Describe your most painful fall/accident.

TJ: Braaaah. I never fall.

Nah when I was first learning how to do the heel-side standy, my forward facing wheels gripped when they should have slid and I got pitched forward on to my stomach. Naturally I got the air knocked out of me and I swear I broke a few ribs. I was fine after a few minutes and so I kept thrashing.

HC: Where’s the dopest place you’ve skated?

TJ: That would be Savannah. Savannah is like longboarders nirvana. It was a blast skating through the streets with the homies and hitting up parking garages. There are lots of places to explore as well. We had many close calls with cars and security guards too! So thrilling!

HC: Got any advice for beginners and people who want to learn?

TJ: Don’t be scared and commit. We all fall down and it’s just part of the learning process. The feeling of skating is truly a unique experience that you won’t regret participating in. 

HC: Who is your favorite professional longboarder/skater?

TJ: My favorite longboarder is Fernando Yuppie. He’s from Brazil and skates with Jet Skateboards. His style of riding is called tech sliding and he’s one of the craziest dudes in the game. Every time I watch one of his vids, I want to just quit skating. 

HC: Alright T-Jizzle, convince these folks why they should join the Longboarders of GSU. Ready, set, go.

TJ: If you want to make new friends and learn how to skate, Longboarders of Georgia Southern is a good way to join in on the fun. We are honestly like a family. 

Journalism major. 22. Georgia Southern. 
Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.