Campus Celebrity: Jesus Cruz’17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

Globalization is real; all of our classes are talking about it. The culture of America is changing and we can see it right here on Georgia Southern’s campus. With the increase in multicultural students it can be difficult for them to find somewhere to learn and spread their culture. There are several organizations on campus trying to remedy this and on the forefront is ALAS.

The Association of Latin American Students (ALAS) is actively trying to spread awareness of Latin culture to the campus. They do this through the work of the executive board and today I had the privilege to interview the Vice-President, Jesus Cruz.  Through his and the rest of the executive board’s efforts ALAS has seen a drastic increase of membership and community support.

In August Jesus applied for a scholarship to attend the Hispanic Association of Colleges and Universities (HACU) annual conference in Denver, Colorado. As the largest conference for Latino students he knew it was an opportunity he couldn’t miss out on.

“After attending a regional conference last spring, I grew so much as a leader and as a student so I knew attending could really help me grow in my position and to benefit my future.”

In Sept. Jesus was awarded the scholarship along with another executive member from ALAS. This means that Oct. 4th ALAS of Georgia will be representing not only Georgia Southern but Georgia has a whole.

Her Campus: What pushed you to join ALAS?

Jesus Cruz: It was the fact that they were trying to spread Latino culture and I am very proud of my heritage and I saw they were growing on campus so I wanted to be a part of this great organization. And I hope to help them take everything to the next level.

HC: What is ALAS to you?

JC: ALAS to me is not an organization, but rather a group of members that are a family and every time we meet on Mondays it feels like a family reunion. It is such a great time, and we are also promoting our culture to the public and I couldn’t have asked for anything more.

HC: What is the greatest challenge with ALAS?

JC:  The greatest challenge is dealing with the negative feedback, and with people who just don’t care about learning about our culture. Which I have no problem with normally, but sometimes it can be hard to face some of those obstacles because I am so proud of my heritage and I want to show everyone, but as I have learned not everyone wants to listen.

HC: How culturally diverse do you feel GSU is?

JC: I feel it going very well in the right direction. I feel like there is a large number of international students coming from all around the world and from here on out it will only grow.

HC: Are you excited for the conference?

JC: Words can’t describe how excited I was to get the email from the head of the HACU Conference, it is a huge honor and the fact that it is the largest conference for Latino students and representing not only GSU, but Georgia itself is so overwhelming. I can’t help but get overly excited every time I am reminded or the fact it is so close by.

HC: What other organizations are you involved in?

JC: Other than ALAS, I am the treasurer for Phi Iota Alpha Fraternity, which is a Latino fraternity here on campus.

HC: If your life could go exactly as you planned it, what would be your dream life?

JC: I would be practicing medicine all around the world helping people. My goal is to be an anesthesiologist and travel working for organizations like Doctors without Borders. I want to help people and make an impact doing what I love to do.

HC: Three things most people don’t know about you?

JC: I am part Mayan, I love to dance, and I was an amateur boxer for five years.

HC: And of course we want to know are you single?

JC: No, I am in a pretty serious relationship. My girlfriend is awesome and super supportive.

HC: That is great! So my last question is what is your advice for freshman girls on campus?

JC: No matter who you are or where you come from, don’t let anything or anyone push you down or belittle you. Be strong and be open, keep you head up high because you can do anything you put your mind to.

Heather Lana

Georgia Southern

International Studies and Public Relations Dual Degree. Chinese and I.T. Minor. Obsessed with Dr.Who, Blacklist,Bob's Burgers and food blogging. You can often find me in my apartment trying to turn into a burrito because burritos don't have to do homework, tests or finals.
Ayanna Gant

Georgia Southern

Hi! I am Ayanna and I am the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Georgia Southern. I am a junior Public Relations major with a minor in Marketing. I hope to one day pursue a career in the sports and entertainment field of public relations!