Campus Celebrity: James “Major” Woodall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

Name: James “Major” Woodall

Age: 21

Classification: Senior

Program of Study: Political Science, Religious Studies (minor.)

Her Campus: What made you choose Georgia Southern?

MW: I chose Georgia Southern because my high school principal and mentor, Dr. Terry Young, played football and graduated from Georgia Southern and before I left for the United States Army, he told me to apply. I never actually toured the campus and knew no one here. I just kinda chose it randomly. And I got lucky. I really was lucky. The school itself, it was okay. Beautiful campus, nice academic programs. But what really sold me – the people. The people are what makes Georgia Southern special.

HC: What on-campus organizations are you involved in?

MW: I’ve served in the Student Government Association as a Senator At-Large (2013-2015), President of the Georgia Southern NAACP (2015), Founding President of the Southern Activists (2015), MAP Sponsor (2015), SOAR Leader (2014), among many other organizations that I have worked with and/or supported.

HC: Can you tell us a little about the NAACP Youth & College Division?MW: The NAACP Youth & College Division was founded in 1936 by Juanita E. Jackson and focused on the growing concerns of Black youth in America. Every State has a Youth & College Division and is made up of all the collegiate chapters, as well as Youth Councils that are organized by county. Georgia has one of the largest Youth & College Division and leads the nation in engaged activism by young people and as State President for Georgia, I plan to redefine what it means to walk on the journey for justice and lead our generation towards a better tomorrow.

HC: What inspires you to want to be so involved?

MW: Growing up, I didn’t really have too many people to look up to, to believe in. If someone ever said something about me, it was that I wasn’t good enough, or that I would end up like my dad, or better yet, dead. It was a struggle growing up. But I made it through to another day’s journey. And I promised myself two things: 1) No one would ever outwork me. and 2) I would be the man and the person that I needed while I was growing up.

HC: What are you plans after college?

MW: I plan to move back to the Riverdale/Clayton County area and run for public office. I feel it’s time to be proactive and become a member of the body of leaders that dictate our public policy. I also want to attend law school at some point, too.

Kendra Cray

Georgia Southern

ΔΣΠ| hail southern | HC CA@hercampusgs| Style Guru Intern@cfashionista | You can have anything you want if you dress for it.♛| iBlog⇝CollegeGirlKendra.com  
Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.