The Best Hairstyles of the 90s

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

1. Box Braids- Movies like Poetic Justice popularized the box braids that are still around today. Janet Jackson made an impact with the long braids and high waist jeans alongside the late rapper 2Pac Shakur.
  2. Finger Waves – Missy Elliot was the finger wave queen! Missy Elliot was seen rocking the best finger wave set in history on the cover for “Hit Em Wit Da Hee” and her unforgettable music video “The Rain (Supa Dupa Fly).” Back then Missy Elliot was the epitome of “laid” edges.
  3. Bantu Knots – Despite what some may think bantu knots are not a new thing! Mel B opened the door for natural girls to wear their Bantu knots on a regular everyday basis. One of the best fashion trends of the 90s and is still alive and well today.
  4. Micro braids – I’m not sure who made these tiny braids popular but when I think of them the first person that comes to mind is Brandy. I have never had them personally but, I heard they take forever to take out.
  5. Head Wraps – Nobody rocked head wraps in the 90s like the Queen herself Ms. Erykah Badu. Always showing her authentic, natural, and Afrocentric style with the best head wrap ever seen.
  6. Aaliyah Over the Eye Swoop Bang – Aaliyah the princess of R&B created and trademarked her iconic over the eye bang in almost all her music videos and public appearances.
  7. Cornrows – Cornrows were surprisingly popular in the 90s amongst men and women.
  8. Beads – of course, a lot of children wore them but Venus and Serena Williams popularized them in mainstream media.
  9. Dyed hair- Sisqó was known for rocking the platinum hair, and I must say he pulled it off quite well.
  10. Slanted High-Top Fade – Only one name and one man can truly define this haircut and that is Bobby Brown. If you have not seen BET’s New Edition biopic please do if you want to know how this haircut came about.
Nia Jean-Pierre

Georgia Southern

I am an Atlanta native and I am very social once you get to know me. I am an Early-Childhood Education major at Georgia Southern University with a concentration in teaching grades 3-5 with intent of impacting their lives in the most positive way possible. I am often referred to as "not your average girl", I love to shop, hang out with my friends, and get my nails done, however I can play NBA2k on PlayStation all day as well. I thoroughly enjoy weekends at home watching Netflix and relaxing. I am a formal personal blogger with hopes of sharing my personal thoughts with the entire HerCampus community. "A lot of people resist transition and therefore never allow themselves to enjoy who they are. Embrace the change, no matter what it is; once you do, you can learn about the new world you're in and take advantage of it." - Nikki Giovanni
Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.