Avoid Weight Gain During Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

Tis the season! The holidays have finally arrived, a time where we typically eat the most. The average American gains seven pounds between Thanksgiving and January 2. Some might have fallen a few pounds shy to the freshman 15, so here are some tips to avoid more weight gain during the holidays. 

“Segoe UI”,sans-serif;color:black”>Thanksgiving is the time many college students have anticipated the most. It’s the first real meal that we get to experience since being away from home. There’s food, on food, on top food, and the only day where it is okay for food to touch on the plate.

“Segoe UI”,sans-serif;color:black”>Not so fast! If you want to avoid the weight the gain, go easy. Instead of piling on the food, get small portions instead that way, you are not eating as much. Drink water before the meal to help satisfy your hunger, never arrive at a holiday party with an empty stomach. Still don’t feel fill? Don’t worry there’s still the dessert table you haven’t visited.

“Segoe UI”,sans-serif;color:black”>Pace yourself. In many households, the one thing that will for sure be on the TV is football. Instead of eating tons of food in one sitting, have the small portions during the 1st quarter, again during halftime, and the dessert during 4th. That way, you don’t have to worry about going into a food coma.

“Segoe UI”,sans-serif;color:black”>Don’t forget to-go plates! It’s something you will be eating from for the next couple of days, but it sure does beat having to eat the food at college.

Brea T. Dupye

Georgia Southern

Hey! My name is Brea Dupye, and I am a junior transfer student from Baltimore, Maryland. I am majoring in Journalism with a minor in Spanish. One day I hope to pursue a career in entertainment news to become one of the first plus size in camera hosts for E! news, or interviewing on the red carpet.
Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.