The Art of Minding Your Own Business

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

I believe we have it all mixed up about our roles in society. That our precious little opinions not only matter but must have great impact on those around us. Not realizing that what we have to say about others and their day-to-day dealings has nothing to do with us!We reside within a world that that measures the value of a good dead by how many likes, reposts, retweets or views we get, so it’s no wonder why we believe we have the audacity to mind other people’s business.

For example, Jaden Smith.

Many believe that he should not be wearing this skirt and go through great lengths to express their distaste in the ideal that a young man is modeling a female skirt. Though, these opinions are their own, they are not law.

It must be understood that there will always be ideals and practices that exist that we will not agree with but we must be mature enough to understand that it is individuality that creates and progresses this society and destroy it. We have become so involved in the lives of others through reality television and applications, such as SnapChat, Instagram and Facebook that allows us to enter anyone’s life at any time, that we forget live our own lives.

Each week we tune into Real Housewives of Wherever or Love and Hip Hop and the immediate lives of those around us and actively discuss how we would live their lives better than they can . Are we really living? Or are we increasing viewer rates and paychecks for others to live for us?

The art of minding your own business is quite simple really and can commence if the answer to all of these questions are NO:

Before you post a comment telling someone how they should not be dressed a certain way or say certain things, ask yourself this question: Would I want someone doing this to me?

Before getting in heated debates about how situations should be handled ask yourself: Does this pay my bills? Will this pay my bills? Will this affect my breathing and way of life?

As you live vicariously through others by thumbing through their newsfeeds: Do they even know you exist?

Take head as we enter this New Year. A lot of our stresses are generated from implanting ourselves in situations that has nothing to do with us. This year, ask yourself these question if you ever feel overwhelmed and watch a great percentage of your “problems” disappear. 

Kashia Knight

Georgia Southern

Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.