4 Books Worth Reading

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

“Reading is a conversation. All books talk, but a good book listens well.” – Mark Haddon

With a busy, ever changing schedule, it can be difficult to set time aside to read a good book. Many of us wish we could read more but cannot seem to squeeze it into our draining to-do lists.

Growing up, I loved reading and still do. Not only does reading enhance your vocabulary, but it is also a healthy way to distress and allows the mind to dance a little.

This past summer, I worked at a bookstore and made a resolution to finish two books before school started back. That did not happen, but I did make a few book purchases and I do find myself reading more since the semester has started.

Here is a list of four books I think are worth picking up, hopefully something interests you enough to run to your nearest bookstore:

Piecing Me Together – Renée Watson

Watson tells the inspiring story of a young girl thirsty for success, hope, and support in a world that seems to offer nothing but hardships. Piecing Me Together is a Newberry Honor and Coretta Scott King Award winner

You Are A Badass – Jen Sincero

In this highly entertaining self-help book, Sincero uses humor and inspirational stories to help you get out of your way, so you can live the life you dream of. Sincero tackles self-sabotaging beliefs and behaviors while encouraging readers to love their life.

the sun and her flowers – Rupi Kaur

If you are a fan of prose and poetry, you will fall in love with the sun and her flowers. the sun and her flowers is Kaur’s second collection of poetry. The book takes a theme on the life cycle of a flower. It discusses healing, abuse, heartbreak, femininity and more heartfelt topics.

White Fragility – Robin DiAngelo, Michael Eric Dyson

You may already guess by the title that this book may have stepped on some toes. This New York Times bestseller takes a look at white fragility by examining the reactions of white people when their views on race are challenged and how those views contribute to ongoing racial inequality.

I'm either at home writing or sitting at the nearest Starbucks. Writer. Poet. Womanist. PR Girl 
Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.