3 Warning Signs About Your Mental Health

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

Upon entering my senior year in college, I have learned that mental health has become the main priority as I have navigated through college. I have realized that stress becomes more than just stress when you reach a burn out state. As I have matured throughout my college experience, I have learned the ins and outs of my own mental health state. As a college student, I understand how stressful college can be despite your major or how many organizations you are in on campus. Having a load of assignments, exams, and deadlines to meet all at ones can send anyone into overload.  We all have moments when we reach a point of being overwhelmed and come really use a day or two to get back in the right space; however, time never stops for one person. In order to regain control of what is a chaotic academic trip, you have to have time and make time for yourself. I know for most, you may not know all the signs that are warning you that you need to take a break. When you start to reach these limits, it may be time for you to take that well needed and long overdue mental break.

1. Not eating well

You have been ripping, running, and spreading yourself so thin that your diet isn’t what it used to be. You find yourself eating out of vending machines more, drinking lots of coffee, eating fast food almost every day, or just not eating at all. You are so busy that you can’t find time to cook a decent meal and eat some healthier options. Your food is your fuel and without it the proper nutrients your stress will increase quicker than you think. I understand that sometimes there aren’t enough hours in a day but try taking baby steps. Instead of getting Chick-Fil-A sandwich meal or a Zaxby’s chicken finger plate try one of their healthier options (i.e. salads). Instead of getting that iced coffee at Starbucks try one of their hot teas. Not only is tea better than coffee, it brings you stress levels down and helps you relax. 

2. Sleep Deprivation

Lately, you have been finding it had to sleep. You are staying up late which leads to going to bed late which means you are sleeping for long. Lack of sleep will only add to your stress and increase your chances of having a mental break down. I know this may sound cliche but, you really do need your rest. Less sleep can lead to health issues such as getting sick.  

3. You feel sick 

Nine times out of ten, extreme stress will lead to your immune system shutting down. Lack of sleep plus lack of a healthy diet can lead to a weak immune system. Next thing you know you have a cold, or a virus, or even the flu (depending on the season). The best thing to do is to just take care of yourself. 

College is hard but, nobody said it would be easy. Take care of yourself and put your mental health first. Easier said than done I know but, just try. 

Nia Jean-Pierre

Georgia Southern

I am an Atlanta native and I am very social once you get to know me. I am an Early-Childhood Education major at Georgia Southern University with a concentration in teaching grades 3-5 with intent of impacting their lives in the most positive way possible. I am often referred to as "not your average girl", I love to shop, hang out with my friends, and get my nails done, however I can play NBA2k on PlayStation all day as well. I thoroughly enjoy weekends at home watching Netflix and relaxing. I am a formal personal blogger with hopes of sharing my personal thoughts with the entire HerCampus community. "A lot of people resist transition and therefore never allow themselves to enjoy who they are. Embrace the change, no matter what it is; once you do, you can learn about the new world you're in and take advantage of it." - Nikki Giovanni
Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.