10 Pieces of Advice Every Freshman Needs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

As you come into college you think about all of the things people have told you to help you prepare for this next chapter of your life. All the clichés like, “Pay attention to your studies,” or, “This is going to be the best four years of your life. Don’t waste it.” And yes these are very important things to worry about and to remember, because your studies are important (they’re the reason you’re in college in the first place) and these years will go by in a blink of an eye! But what about the stuff people don’t really have college clichés for? Things that aren’t really talked about until you ask or until it’s too late? Well that’s what this article is all about. I, the author of this article, am going to give you 10 pieces of advice on things I and other girls on this campus wish that someone had told us when we were going into this new chapter of our lives. 

1. School is important, but it’s not the only thing.

When you were in high school your goal was to get to college. So you stayed up late finishing project after project; assignment after assignment. Well guess what? Now you’re here. So don’t feel like you need to stay home every night and study. Go out and do things, join a club, invite your neighbors over for a game night with your roomies. Don’t be afraid to try new things. Because when you look back in thirty years you aren’t going to remember what you made on that chemistry quiz you crammed all night for, you’re going to remember the nights spent with friends doing crazy, adventurous things.

1. Don’t spread yourself too thin.

In response to my first piece of advice; I felt the need to say this. It is very important to have a social life, but don’t feel like you need to do EVERYTHING. Whether that means you don’t go out to party every night with your friends, or you don’t join every single club you see tabling at the Rotunda. This advice is mostly saying to make sure you prioritize. If you have a midterm on Friday you need to opt out on Thirsty Thursday and stay in your dorm to study. Getting a day planner, desk calendar, or a notebook (I have all three) is very important. That way you can look at what you have written down and see if you have time to hang out with friends.

1. Be smart with your money.

You really don’t realize how expensive it is being a living person until you are out on your own. Yes your parents may give you 20-50 dollars a week (like mine do), but you will see quickly that, that money can slip through your finger very fast. Take advantage of your dining halls! Their food may not be the greatest, but your bank account will thank you and so will your body when you don’t eat fast food and junk all the time. Also don’t think that EVERY TIME you get an email, flyer, or text from one of the local businesses saying they’re have an amazing deal on whatever that you have to participate in it. It may not seem like a lot of money now, but those “deals” will add up quick.

1. DRINK RESPONSIBLY

I don’t think I will be able to ever stress this piece of advice enough. Whether you partied a lot in high school or you are just starting to dabble with it in college, LEARN YOUR LIMITS! Nothing is worse than waking up the morning after a Whiskey Wednesday with a killer head ache and your stomach in knots because you downed an entire bottle of wine yourself. We all know partying is fun, but DO NOT go out every night. Your grades will suffer, and so will your health. Lastly, make sure you hydrate before, during, and after you drink. It helps with the hangover, and drinking severely dehydrates your body; so if you’re at a fraternity party getting crazy on a Friday, and you go to the tailgate and football game Saturday don’t just be on a liquid diet. Help your body out; drink some water and eat a good meal in between so you don’t pass out in this South Georgia heat people!

1. Don’t pack your relationship in a suitcase and bring it with you.

When you come to college you are starting a new chapter of your life. You are going to become the person you’re meant to be. If you try to drag along a relationship from back home it’s only going to limit you and your potential; especially if the person you are with isn’t going to the same college as you are. Being with someone who is still in your home town or is going to another school is going to make it harder to go and try new things, meet new people, and all around just grow as a person. When you’re going every weekend to see your significant other you’re taking away valuable free time to do all the things that will help with your future. Now obviously this piece of advice isn’t a hard fact. Everyone is different and I know a good bit of people who made their long distance relationships work, and who ended up being high school sweethearts, but those same people will tell you it was extremely hard. Proceed with caution.

1. It’s okay to be home sick.

I don’t think I have ever met someone who didn’t miss something about their home. Whether it was about their pets, parents, or even just their bed compared to their dorm bed, everyone misses what’s familiar. The thing you need to remember is that moving out and going to school is part of growing up. We are meant to leave the nest, and once you’re used to being on your own it’s one of the best feelings you’ll ever have. And the first summer you go back home is going to be the hardest summer to deal with, because you’ll have to become acclimated back to following your parents rules.

1. The buddy system is real.

You know how you always hear about those girls who get attacked on college campuses or people who get mugged walking home at night? Well that may not ever happen to you and there’s a very slim chance it will, but it’s always better to stay safe than be sorry. If you know you’re going to be at the library late studying text your friend and ask them to come keep you company; that way you both have a chance to study with someone and neither of you are walking home alone. If your friend doesn’t need to study ask them if they’ll meet you when you’re done so they can walk with you. Either way you should always be aware of your surroundings and remember safety first.

1. Have confidence.

I know coming into college is hard. You’re going through what I like to call “second puberty”. Your emotions are changing and you’re starting to grow into an adult. This is the time you are growing into who you truly are, and that person is AWESOME! You are the only you there ever will be and that’s pretty cool! Have confidence in who you are and know that even if certain people don’t like you that’s okay because in college there is a group of friends for everyone. Don’t envy someone else for what they have or how they look, because for all you know they could be envying you for the same reasons.

1. Take sleep seriously!

I know it seems really fun to stay out all night with your friends, but trust me when I say that sleep is important. I know you’ve heard it a million times, but sometimes some of the most cliché things you hear are some of the truest. If you listen to this advice you will not have to worry about your grades slipping, messing up on tests, or even emotional problems due to sleep deprivation. Just remember; sleep is GOOD!

1. Make friends in your class!

You never know how hard a class will truly be until you are actually in it. Having people who are going through the pain with you, and that can be your study buddy! You can share books (maybe even split the costs) or notes. They can help you catch up if you have to miss a few days of class. They can even possibly be your new best friend! The great thing about this advice is that it’s great for making friends but also helping with your grades and studying. It’s killing two birds with one stone!

Of course there is more advice you will learn as you go through school and from older students you meet, but these were, in my opinion, some of the most important pieces you could use for this first semester. 

Jordan Pavey

Georgia Southern

Hi there! My name is Jordan Pavey and I am a student at Georgia Southern University. I am a journalism student with a minor in marketing. I hope to one day become a journalist for a major news company, and be able to write for a livng.
Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.