Who is your V-Day Man?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgetown chapter.

Valentine’s Day. One of those holidays that we all love to hate. Of course, for those us of with significant others, it may be a time filled with expensive dinners, yummy chocolates, and way too many pairs of Victoria’s Secret pajamas. Maybe the man of your dreams is surprising you for the special day or maybe some random guy that you work with will pluck up the courage to ask you out. Your V-Day man may come in all different shapes and sizes, but it is more than likely that you will encounter one of these bad (or good) boys during Feb. 14th…

The Boyfriend: Love is in the air. You two have been dating since junior year of high school and are convinced that wedding bells are in your future. He jumps through many hoops to come spend the day with you in DC and has had the perfect gift planned out for months. He is a definite keeper and all of your single friends are uber jealous of your relationship. Congratulations, you have tackled V-Day by storm!

The Rando: You don’t know his middle name or if he has any siblings, but you do know that he is single and good-looking. He bought you a drink at a bar and feeds you way too many cheesy lines, but you let it slide because it is Valentine’s Day after all. He says, “You have the most beautiful eyes I have ever seen” five different times and you ultimately decide that he will do for the night.  

The Co-Worker: Option 1: He has been eyeing you ever since you took the job three weeks ago and you are starting to get a little creeped out. Sure he is kind of cute, but he is also 26 years old and lives off of the phrase “age is just a number.” You don’t know if you should go out with him, but when your BFF gets a last-minute date, you decide that he is better than nothing. Good luck. Option 2: Coworker is not a creepy, older stalker but one of the cutest guys you have ever seen. He says that he needs the job to pay for med school and leaves work early to catch the last half of his little sister’s dance recital. He is also a fan of romcoms. When he asks if you would like to see one on V-Day you couldn’t be happier. Aw.

The “Friend”: You guys are not dating, but you might as well be. He is your go-to guy on the weekends, but not THE guy. Neither of you want the commitment but you would still be pissed if he hooked up with another girl. He asks if you want to “hang out” at his apartment before heading out for the night and, since it is totally casual, you figure why not? It’s not a date. But it kind of is. You don’t get the Victoria Secret’s PJs, but he does make you a really good PB&J. That sort of counts as a gift, right?

The Blind Date: So your best gal pal’s man has a friend whose cousin’s brother is in need of some loving. She tells her man that you would be the PERFECT fit and you are dragged into the world of blind dating. You figure that there is no harm in going on a double date during V-Day, but then quickly realize that the friend’s cousin’s brother is socially awkward and never chews with his mouth closed. You end the night drinking wine alone and watching He’s Just Not That Into You. Valentine’s Day can suck it.

The Surprise: You two have been good friends for some time now and you never thought there was anything “romantic” going on. He tells you about his constant girl struggles and you complain to him about the fact that you still don’t have a boyfriend. You might have drunkenly hooked up once or twice, but you knew it meant nothing in the long run. That is, until he asks you if you have any plans on the 14th.  Oh boy.

Photo Source: 
Here 
Here

Julia Matin

Georgetown

Julia Matin is a senior at Georgetown University, studying English and Government. She is Vice President of Human Resources at the Georgetown University Alumni and Student Federal Credit Union, the largest student-run financial institution in the country. Her interests include writing, lacrosse, field hockey, and skiing. Julia is thrilled to be co-founding the Georgetown branch of Her Campus with Catherine Murphy!