Where to Live in D.C. this Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgetown chapter.

Looking for a place to stay this summer in D.C.? You can choose to stay on a college campus or sublet an apartment. Whether you’re interning, taking classes, or just staying in the area this summer, there are plenty of options.

Georgetown University has numerous housing options for current students and non-Georgetown affiliated students looking for housing this summer. This includes dorm or apartment-style rooms for summer conference housing, commencement housing, May transition housing, Georgetown student housing, or non-Georgetown individual housing. Hoyas know how great the neighborhood is, but for those of you who don’t know, Georgetown is a more secluded community where you can get both a residential and city experience this summer. There are shops along M Street that provide a downtown feel, public transportation that connects to the greater D.C. area, and monuments within a few miles. Depending on the length of your stay and the type of housing you choose, you could be charged between about $370 – $500 per week. You can check out Georgetown’s options here.

George Washington University provides housing in its Foggy Bottom and Mount Vernon campuses. GWU offers four types of reservations, including individual, short stay, long stay, and GW Department Reservations. The university charges a $150 administrative fee, and their weekly rates vary from $280 to $420, depending on the style of the room. Foggy Bottom is centrally located and close to a convenient metro stop. The Mount Vernon campus is close to the city, but will allow you to get a more typical college feeling. See all their options here.

American University requires an application for its housing options for interns, guests, and certain competitions and programs, which you can find here. Catholic University, Trinity Washington University, University of the District of Columbia, and Howard University are also possible housing choices that you may want to look into. 

If you want to sublet an apartment in D.C., you may have to do a little more research. Renting an apartment in the DMV area can be quite costly, but if you put in more time to find the right place, you could have an incredible living experience this summer. There are a lot of online resources that help you match your budget and geographic location demands with apartment options. The public Facebook group is another place to look for potential places to stay. 

College students may want to consider getting renters insurance for their stay this summer, particularly if their personal property has a lot of value. In Washington, D.C., according to a recent study, renters insurance costs an average of $13.67 monthly, which is about 12.3% lower than the national average. Regardless of where you choose to live, as long as you do your research and compare your options, you’ll be sure to find a suitable and hopefully, affordable option! D.C. is a wonderful place to live and a great area to explore, especially during the summer.   

Nina Cheng

Georgetown