What does your “Type” say about you?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgetown chapter.

Whether we realize it or not, we all have a “type.” Although our type may change and mold as we get older, at the end of the day, it all comes back to who we find the most attractive. Our type can range from nerdy and sensitive to athletic and cocky. With so many different looks and personalities to choose from, the guy we fall for might seem like a crapshoot. Yet, the type we like best often always hints at who we are as individuals. So, without further ado, I just have to ask…what’s your type?

1. Tall, Dark, and Handsome: He has it all. The perfect teeth. The perfect body. The perfect family. Tall, Dark and Handsome’s are typically hard to come by so when we (think) we found Mr. Right, we hold onto him immediately. If you find yourself falling for this type of guy, chances are high that you are a hopeless romantic who has seen almost every Disney movie. Although the uber cute and sensitive personality of Prince Charming has most likely impacted your idealistic attitude toward guys, keep up the optimism! Your prince will come in due time.

Real Life Example: Ben Affleck

[pagebreak]

1. Nerdy but Adorable: You want a guy who is intellectually stimulating and can hold their own in a conversation. Sure, he may be a bit nerdy, but who doesn’t want a guy with goals and aspirations for the real world? You also like the fact that he is not super cocky, a tad awkward, and has that extremely goofy personality that you can’t help but smile at. After all, if he can trip over his own two feet and then laugh about it, he is a winner in your book!

Real Life Example: Adam Brody

[pagebreak]

1. Serious and Brooding: The cliché for this type would be a struggling musician, artist, entrepreneur, etc. who wears beanie hats on the reg. and writes you love poems every other week. Yet, although this is a possible option, Serious and Brooding guys can also be the ones who are deeply emotional and sensitive. They are usually different from most guys and possess a mysterious aurora that draws you in immediately. If Serious and Brooding is your type, you are a curious and emotional person who wants to explore a relationship with someone on a deeper level. In addition, chances are this complicated guy intrigues you, prompting you to want to figure out his story.

Real Life Example: Christian Bale

[pagebreak]

1. Bad Boy: Bad Boys are similar to Serious and Brooding in the sense that they draw you in without even realizing it. The difference is that if you are into Bad Boys, you most likely already know their reputation. Although you know for a fact that going for that player is a bad move, you can’t help it! You may be insecure and think you are not worthy of the “good guys” in the world, or you may think you have the power to change him. Or maybe you are being manipulated and strung on by his smooth words and charm. Be careful. When you are dealing with a Bad Boy, chances are high that you are going to get burned.

Real Life Example: John Mayer

[pagebreak]

1. Manly Man: Permanent 5 o’clock shadow scruff? Check. Tall? Check. Big arms? Check. If you’re more into manly men, you want a guy who is going to be your protector. Guys who are tinier than you are a definite no and if he wears flamingos on his pants you will most likely run in the opposite direction. Manly men can often times look older than they actually are and have that irresistible athletic build. You might be more attracted to manly men if you are a taller girl who doesn’t want to feel “bigger” than her guy.

Real Life Example: Tom Brady

[pagebreak]

1. Pretty Boy: Almost the exact opposite of the manly man. If you find yourself falling for the Pretty Boy, you like your man groomed, clean shaven, and well dressed. You find the gelled hair and preppy-ness attractive, and are not really into the whole hairy “caveman” esque look. You are probably into fashion and dressing up and, therefore, want a guy who appreciates that too. It’s also hard to resist that boyish charm!

Real Life Example: Zac Efron

Julia Matin

Georgetown

Julia Matin is a senior at Georgetown University, studying English and Government. She is Vice President of Human Resources at the Georgetown University Alumni and Student Federal Credit Union, the largest student-run financial institution in the country. Her interests include writing, lacrosse, field hockey, and skiing. Julia is thrilled to be co-founding the Georgetown branch of Her Campus with Catherine Murphy!