Ways to “Dress Up” For Class

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgetown chapter.

The other day I was reading an article in the New York Times Fashion section that covered college fashion and the ways that girls dress nowadays. You used to see girls wearing sweats or t-shirts, but as the article said college is now a fashion show of sorts. Girls like to dress up and when they do they tend to look more than just put together, but stylish too. Now I know that people might think it’s hard to dress up or uncomfortable but in reality it’s easy to do!

Accessorize
I find that wearing the perfect accessories can make an outfit. Take the classic jeans and t-shirt combo. Either add a pair of gold hoops and a high ponytail or a statement necklace and your outfit is taken to a whole new level. Make sure not to go overboard and add too many accessories, taking away from the “glam simplicity” of what you’re wearing.

Rocking a dress
A dress is one of my favorite things to wear to class because you can just throw them on and dress them up/down when necessary. Try a sweater dress with a great pair of patterned tights and boots. Something I love to do is take a dainty dress, add a pair of black crocheted tights to give it an edge and then pair with some ballet flats or short boots.

Try out leather
Leather may seem too edgy or hardcore but it’s actually the perfect way to add that extra touch to an outfit. Go for a leather jacket over a white t-shirt and jeans with ballet flats for a classic look. If you’re more daring try a leather pencil skirt or a black skirt with leather accents and a jean shirt tucked into it.

Dressing up leggings
Leggings are a tough one because depending on the kind that you have they can look tacky or too thick, etc, etc, etc. I’ve found my favorite pair to be yoga pant leggings because they’re the perfect combo: not too thin, flexible, and durable. Pair leggings with a loose white t-shirt, black blazer and ballet flats for a chic but comfy outfit.

[pagebreak]

Try a maxi skirt/dress
A maxi dress or skirt is a great transition piece for the fall because they can be paired with a button down or a big chunky sweater. If it gets cold you can slip leggings underneath and no one will notice! The great thing about this outfit is the comfort factor along with the fact that you’ll look stylish and completely put together.

Work with metallics
I think that glitter and metallics sometimes get a bad rep as being too tacky or garish but they can be easy to tone down! Try a metallic or gold glitter skirt with a white t-shirt and a safari/army jacket on top. A shirt can also be a good way to try out this look whether it be through embroidery, color or texture.

* the pictures featuring the blonde are from the blog cupcakesandcashmere. This is my favorite blog and I follow it religiously. If you’re in the mood to get addicted to a fashion blog this one is for you!

Photo sources: itwontstealyoursubstance.tumblr.com

Catherine Murphy is a junior at Georgetown University.  She is majoring in Marketing in Georgetown's McDonough School of Business.  She is also planning on completing minors in English and Sociology.