A Tribute to My Sisters

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgetown chapter.

Having two sisters has been one of the most frustrating things I’ve ever experienced. They steal my clothes without asking, use my makeup without asking, invade my personal space, bother me when I’m trying to concentrate, and purposefully scare me. As much as they can get on my nerves, they are the greatest blessing in my life. 

Reflecting now on my relationships with my sisters, I realized how much it transformed. My younger sister used to be the annoying pest that always followed us around when we wanted to do “big girl” things with our friends. My older sister and I fought all the time. ALL. THE. TIME. I used to tell her that if she wasn’t my sister, I would never be her friend because we were so vastly different in personalities. I realize how mean that is now, but it’s okay because we’re super close and she knows I’m brutally honest. 

However, as we all grew older, and we all experienced some hardships together, we bonded. Now, I consider my sisters my priority, and they are my best friends. They know how concerningly weird and hyper I can get, and at the same time understand (kind of) when I need space and time alone. The inside jokes we have, and the solidarity in dealing with our parents (whom we love dearly!) is something that keeps me going, even while I’m away at school. 

Both of my sisters without a doubt shape who I am, and can bring out the best in me. My younger sister has the irksome ability to make me laugh anytime, even when I’m upset at her, and brings my maturity levels down a solid 10 levels when I’m with her. My older sister is always supportive of me and praises me, even when I don’t deserve it. She is probably the most understanding and courageous human being, and it inspires me to be the same (still working on it though). 

Don’t get me wrong, my friends are a critical portion of my life and mental sanity. But I know that my sisters will love me pretty much unconditionally. I am my truest self in front of them, and they love me despite seeing all of my flaws. That kind of love and understanding is rare. 

I guess what I’m trying to say here is that if you have a sister, latch on to her. Because even though she knows how to really push your buttons, she also knows how to love you for who you really are. The companionship of having a sister is something I’ve always had, being the middle child, and without it, I wouldn’t be who I am today. I wouldn’t strive to be a better person, and I wouldn’t care as much about my actions. It’s also a huge plus that when I want to go out and watch a movie, or shop, they’re down to go. 

My sisters are one of the most influential people in my life. The decisions I make are largely based off of my love for them, and without them, I would be a lesser human being. 

Olivia Wang

Georgetown

School of Foreign Service Major: International Politics Minor: Korean