#ThatAwkwardMoment When You Leave Things Places…But Don’t Want To Go Back To Get Them!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgetown chapter.

We have all done it. We leave things around. You leave your key on the table at Leo’s. You leave your GoCard in the cup holder on the treadmill. Once I locked my phone in the LXR bathroom and could not get back in to grab it! Things get awkward when you leave things places you don’t plan on returning to.

There are different categories to this type of awkwardness:

Level 1: You are doing something casual. Studying with the hot guy from your class (who also happens to be smart) and lives on the floor below you and you leave your phone by accident. As soon as you are in the elevator and go to text your friends, you realize you don’t have it. You can’t text and tell him you’re coming back! Your very cute and casual goodbye is now ruined and you’re praying that he doesn’t guess 1-2-3-4 as your passcode. The knock, the explantation, and second goodbye are awkward as can be.

[pagebreak]

Level 2: This level can be found in two types of situations. The first situation tends to happen after you have had one too many…um, sodas, and you decide that it would just be a great idea to get with your best guy friend, who is like a brother to you and always help him with girl issues. Then you leave your key in his room, and even though your roommate lets you into the room, you are forced to face a big ol’ bubble of awkwardness waaay before you planned on it.

The second situation also involves being stupid, but with someone less familiar. For example, you meet a new guy, he’s nice and you go back to his place hang out, chat and as you are chatting you take off your hoops because your ears are killing you. Of course you take them off, because $3 hoops from who knows where probably aren’t the best quality. When all of a sudden this new guy starts being really weird and you quickly head out, you forget your earrings. You don’t really care about the earrings and so you decide that they can stay there for all eternity. Your hoops that are probably still on his desk, and now every time you pass him on your way to class you are forced to think about how he has your hoops and that weird night.

[pagebreak]

Level 3: Ahh, level 3 such an interesting level. Level 3 awkwardness often comes when the “sodas” are flowing and you had a rough week. Some guy is flirting with you at the bar and you decide that you deserve a little fun. Fun is had and when you wake up the next morning in your bed you realize that your favorite bracelet is not on your wrist and it is not anywhere in your apartment. This bracelet means so much to you that you cannot settle for some level 2 awkwardness. You need it back. Sometimes, you fail to look at the little number on the door, because why does that matter at the time!? Maybe, you do not know a single one of his roommates who can sneak your bracelet out for you. You’re stuck. And now you have to go through the super awkward process of tracking down that guy, contacting him, and retrieving your bracelet and trying to avoid making really awkward jokes about your previous encounter.

Whether you are faced with Level 1,2, or 3 awkwardness, take it in stride! It happens to the best of us. I’m faced with so many awkward encounters, I often have a couple options about what to share with you every week. Even if you think you invented a new shade of dark red with the color on your cheeks, someone has topped you in the game of awkwardness. One day you will look back and laugh….