Taking the Stress Out of Hell Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgetown chapter.

No one realizes how challenging college is until they reach their first set of midterms. The first month of school is great: staying up late, watching Netflix until you can’t think of anything else to watch, gossiping with friends, flirting with boys, and eating junk food until your stomach hurts. Then all of a sudden exams hit you- BOOM- like a brick to the face. The week (if you’re not a procrastinator) or 2 days (if you procrastinate) before exams is what I like to call HELL Week. Everyone’s stressing. No one’s happy. And people are constantly complaining. Are you stressed just thinking about it? Take a deep breath and try a few of the stress relieving techniques I’ve listed below, and hopefully you will be one of the few in Leo’s with a smile on your face during Hell Week.

1. Exercise: There’s no reason you can’t take 20-30 minutes to forget about your schoolwork and continue to work on your Spring Break body. Sweating clears your mind and allows you to find more space in which to cram testing information. Exercise also doesn’t have to be the typical “gym” workout. By dancing and dropping it low or playing a sport, your body will produce the same happy little endorphins that it will when you elliptical or run. Endorphins work miracles… I’m serious! They put you in a better mood and give you a little high without having to use unhealthy substances. If you truly feel that you can’t take the time away for studying, bring your notes or flashcards to review while sweating off all your worries — just make sure you don’t break a leg while exercising and studying at the same time!

2. Music: Whether you’re singing at the top of your lungs, listening to music, or playing an instrument, your brain is taking a break from the books and relaxing. Once again, you don’t need a long jam session, but just enough time to clear your brain and remember that life is still progressing no matter how many hours you’re spending in the library.

3. Eating: Here’s where I struggle the most. I am a stress eater… and unfortunately my food choices are not ideal. I eat junk food — which makes me VERY happy at the time — but also makes me crash 30 minutes later. Dessert might be stressed spelled backwards, but try your best to stay away from all the sweets.  So, the key is to eat fruits, vegetables, and good sources of protein. Apple or celery with peanut butter, greek yogurt, or healthy trail mix are great study snacks. You have to eat, even when you’re stressed, or your body will not have the necessary energy to function and put in those late hours. Last of all, while some people feel the need for caffeine, try to stay away from constantly drinking coffee or you will crash as soon as the caffeine leaves your system.

4. Relax: Sleeping and meditating are the best ways to relax in a stressful situation. Try to clear your mind and find some alone time to allow your brain to rest. Chill in a dark room with that scented neck wrap your parents sent, squeeze the heck out of Bug-Out Bob, have a cup of decaffeinated herbal tea… and for goodness sake, don’t turn on the TV. You may think TV relaxes you, but it is a huge time sucker and actually stimulates your brain rather than allowing it to relax. Find another way to relax instead of flipping through the channels.

While you may not think you have time for stress relievers, they are a necessity if you want to do your best on exams. Relieving stress doesn’t have to take a lot of time, just long enough to clear your head. So, now that you’re done reading this, get back to studying . . . and good luck on your next set of exams!