Spring Breakers: Packing Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgetown chapter.

If you’re like me, you would agree that we have had one day too many of icy roads, layers, and scarves. Initial excitement for boot and chunky sweater weather has long faded and dreams of beaches and ninety-degree heat have occupied most of my time. Luckily, the highly anticipated spring break is a mere week away, and thoughts of sunnier days are finally becoming a reality. Here is my packing guide for those of you that, like me, in a week’s time will be firmly planted on the beach, soaking up that oh-so-beautiful sun.

[pagebreak]

1)   Bathing suits- if you are heading to the beach, don’t fool yourself. You will be spending most of your time in a bikini or, if you are really seeking the bold look, a one-piece. Pack as many as you have because you are going to want to mix and match, and your friends are going to want to borrow.

Net-a-Porter

Pinterest

[pagebreak]

2)   Sunscreen- although tanner is always better, extreme redness and skin cancer are not. As my mother always told me: reapply, reapply, reapply. The times you think you are not going to get burned, trust me, you will. And most likely it will be in the most unlikely places, like your feet, which makes wearing sandals a tad problematic. I discovered this particular brand this past summer at the beach, and it changed the way I looked at sunscreen. It gets the job done and smells fantastic while doing it.

Trust the Bum

[pagebreak]

3)   Beach bag- this is extremely important in order to carry all of the essentials. The books. The iPod speakers. Sunscreen. Go with the classic straw bag or this one with a fun print. Either way, you won’t regret it.

Free People

J.Crew

[pagebreak]

4)   Sunglasses – Painfully obvious, but I wouldn’t put it here if I hadn’t made the mistake of leaving mine home once or twice. My best advice is to bring two pairs: ones that you wouldn’t mind losing to the ocean waves if you ventured out with them on and a pair that you would never dare part with.

Sabo Skirt

[pagebreak]

5)   Cover up- Though I am always a fan of the fishing shirt to throw over your bikini, it’s important to have an alternative, in case you are not just hanging out by the pool but actually have to wake out of your dream state to enter the real world.

Nasty Gal

[pagebreak]

6)   Jean shorts – aka “jorts” – You can easily pull these on with your bathing suit to hit the beach or to grab some lunch with your friends. There is nothing that they don’t work with.  

Shop Bop

[pagebreak]

7)   Sandals- Having a pair of sandals that can transition from day to night is essential. Embrace the chance to show off your last-minute pedicure and let your toes free after months of being trapped in boots.

Polyvore

[pagebreak]

8)   Night outfits- Pack two or three outfits in case you decide to ditch the beach garb for a more sophisticated look. In this case, ALWAYS go with bright colors. Pull out your corals, turquoises and limes because they never fail to show off your well-earned tan. And remember, you can never go wrong with a maxi dress.

About to Blow