In Remembrance of Philip Seymour Hoffman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgetown chapter.

On Sunday, February 2nd, actor Philip Seymour Hoffman was found dead in his apartment with several bags of heroin and a syringe in his arm. This tragic scene is a result of Hoffman’s struggles with life, fame, and subsequent drug and alcohol addictions. His death is an unbelievable loss for the cinematic world. Showtime executives recently stated the following, describing Hoffman as “one of our generation’s finest and most brilliant actors.” He truly was one of my favorite actors and I’ve never not a loved a film he was in. So rather than try and describe his brilliance, I suggest you witness it for yourself. I offer you just a few of his films that I love the most and will probably be crying over in the following weeks.

1. Capote, 2005

Hoffman won the Academy Award for Best Actor in this biographical film for his portrayal of Truman Capote. The film centers on Capote, a popular writer for The New Yorker. He is interested in writing an article on the horrific murder of a family in Kansas. Yet as he digs deeper into his research and into the crime, he is inspired to expand his article and actually produce a novel. This would become his greatest work, In Cold Blood. The author takes a personal journey in his relationship and identification with killer Perry Smith; it is compelling and unforgettable. Ultimately however, the film rides on the powerful shoulders of Philip Seymour Hoffman and his magnificent performance. He perfectly executes the various emotions and the detailed intricacies of Capote. This is a must see.    

2. The Master, 2012

Nominated for an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor, Hoffman plays Lancaster Dodd, a leader of a cultish, religious movement known as “The Cause.” The Master tells the story of Freddie Quell (played by the exceptional Joaquin Phoenix), a WWII veteran who is struggling to adjust to a post-war society. Quell meets Dodd, who accepts him into his powerful society. This film isn’t made for everyone’s enjoyment, but it is absolutely captivating and brilliantly executed. It is universally acclaimed and one of the most powerful films in recent years.  With a pair like Phoenix and Hoffman, it is no wonder why.

3. Doubt, 2008

Once again nominated for an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor, Hoffman works alongside actress powerhouses Meryl Streep and Amy Adams in Doubt.  Taking place in 1964 in the Bronx, Hoffman plays Father Flynn, a charismatic priest at a Catholic school.  He continually tries to upend the school’s strict policies that have for a long time been enforced by Sister Beauvier.  Political change is happening and the school has just enrolled its first black student.  While there is no real evidence of anything, Beauvier questions Flynn’s ambiguous relationship with this student and persistently attempts to reveal the truth.  Overall, the doubt transcends the film’s narrative and enters into the mind of the audience.  It is a mysterious and thought-provoking film that deserves attention.

It hurts me to have to choose only three of Hoffman’s films (seeing that I love every one). So here are some others that could just have easily been described above… The Ides of March, 2011, Moneyball, 2011, The Invention of Lying, 2009, Pirate Radio, 2009, Charlie Wilson’s War, 2007, Along Came Polly, 2004, Cold Mountain, 2003, Almost Famous, 2000, The Talented Mr. Ripley, 1999, Patch Adams, 1998, The Big Lebowski, 1998, Scent of a Woman, 1992

Lauren Saar

Georgetown

My name is Lauren Saar. I am a sophomore in the College at Georgetown University. I am an English major and am on the varsity volleyball team. I am also a Style Guru representing Georgetown's campus at CollegeFashionista.com. I could talk about fashion, film, and music for hours and I am excited to be able to write about exactly those sorts of things on HerCampus.