The Peace Cord: Accessorizing Your Way to Change

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgetown chapter.

I recently found this picture when reading the latest Glamour featuring the Kardashian sisters. These bracelets were listed under the category “How to Add Buttons to Your Wardrobe”, which made me look at them just as I would any other piece of jewelry. Reading the caption underneath the bracelets which called them “Peace Cords” made me think twice about these fashion statement pieces, so I looked them up, finding a website with an amazing cause.

Peace Cords are bracelets that are made by Afghan women as a form of empowerment and they give these women the chance to build better lives for themselves. These women are all involved in the war, civilians who get involved because of location or circumstance, but every one of them has been affected. Using parachute cords and military uniform buttons these women hand make every bracelet and sell them for only fifteen dollars.

All profits from these bracelets go towards bettering the lives of these women along with furthering the humanitarian efforts that are being carried out by U.S. troops in the Middle East. Their mission statement is on the website,
“Peace Cord™ is a partnership between ARZU STUDIO HOPE and Spirit of America, like-minded nonprofit organizations affecting positive change in communities across Afghanistan. Production of Peace Cord™ creates jobs for impoverished Afghan women, delivers access to education and healthcare, and provides funds to U.S. troops for humanitarian projects to supply necessities like shoes, food and school books to isolated Afghan communities.”                                    (peacecord.org)

The goal that the brand has is to sell one million Cords to Americans, and I personally hope that they can accomplish this goal. These bracelets serve the goal of both supporting the troops and Afghan women along with expressing the appreciation we have for those fighting overseas, whether it is someone you do or don’t know. After reading up on this site I purchased a few bracelets to support the mission that Peace Cord is trying to accomplish along with supporting the family members I have that fought in the military and those who are planning to fight in the future.

If you have a chance check out the website, peacecord.org. Bracelets are only $15, all profits are donated, and it is for an amazing cause. Bracelets are available for each military branch, along with memorial bracelets and special bracelets that mean hope. If you have family or friends in the military, just want to wear the bracelet because you believe in what the brand is about, or even like the bracelet’s design buy one! (Or two!)

PeaceCord.org 

Catherine Murphy is a junior at Georgetown University.  She is majoring in Marketing in Georgetown's McDonough School of Business.  She is also planning on completing minors in English and Sociology.