The Morning After.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgetown chapter.

You wake up, wearing little or no clothing, and try to remember where you are. You roll over and give yourself a mental high five because the boy next to you is actually cute, and your cell phone is somehow still in tact and charging next to his bed. But now what? You are suddenly very sober, and very naked, in a new boy’s bed while he sleeps soundly next to you.

Is it cool to collect your things and creep out without a word? Are you supposed to shake him awake for an awkward goodbye kiss and a “thanks, I had fun?” Should you stick around and try to cuddle?

If this guy was a one night stand who you never plan on seeing or speaking to again, it’s best to get the hell out of there as fast as you can—preferably before he even realizes your gone. This type of exit involves some planning ahead, though, because there is nothing more uncomfortable than having a guy watch you search for your bra among the piles of dirty clothes on his floor. Seriously, I would almost rather walk home topless. If he does wake up, make a joke about your outfit repeat and try to leave with as much grace and dignity as you can muster.

Things get more complicated if you actually like this guy. Obviously, if you think you had a real connection the night before, you want to stick around and see if that connection is still there in the light of day. This is tricky though; because before you relegate yourself to lying in his bed hungover all morning, you need to seriously ask yourself how much of the night before was about alcohol and how much could possibly have been real. If he’s on the opposite side of the bed, or has already gotten up, take it as a sign that it’s time to go.

On the rare (RARE) occasion that this one night stand actually is with a guy you have a connection with, you’ll know. You won’t have to lie there wondering what to do next, because he will likely be cuddling you and trying to make morning small talk. In this case, give yourself a pat on the back and pray the two of you make it to Booey’s while they’re still serving breakfast.

Here’s the bottom line: unless the guy is really into you (or thinks there might be the possibility of morning sex) he almost definitely does not want you lounging in his bed hungover all day. In these situations, you really need to be honest with yourself. There is nothing more annoying than someone who simply won’t get out of your bed, especially when its noon on Sunday and you have things to do. Don’t hang around hoping for some magical moment that will make things less awkward—cut your losses and leave. Just please, don’t high five him or throw up a peace sign on your way out.

Photo Source: 
http://www.honolulupulse.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/20110420_TheMorn…

Julia Matin

Georgetown

Julia Matin is a senior at Georgetown University, studying English and Government. She is Vice President of Human Resources at the Georgetown University Alumni and Student Federal Credit Union, the largest student-run financial institution in the country. Her interests include writing, lacrosse, field hockey, and skiing. Julia is thrilled to be co-founding the Georgetown branch of Her Campus with Catherine Murphy!