Keeping Up With New Year’s Resolution

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgetown chapter.

So four weeks ago you made that promise almost everyone makes to lose all the winter weight you put on during the holiday season. At first it was all going well. January started with daily trips to the gym, healthy eating and tons of sleep. Then when school started you began to drop off your healthy schedule. Registration, ordering textbooks, and getting back into the swing of things was stressful enough to keep you from anywhere near the gym. Also, champagne brunches and OMG I HAVEN’T SEEN YOU IN LIKE NINETEEN DAYS parties didn’t help either.  But just because you may have fallen off track a little doesn’t mean you should throw all the hard work you put in at the beginning away. Here’s a little list of five motivational things to get you back on track to your new years resolutions.

1. It’s all about the goals.

You made goals at the beginning of the year and at one point you said to yourself you would do what it takes to reach these goals. Now you doubt whether or not you can reach them. So maybe a little readjustment is in order. My suggestion is to slightly adjust your goals and make them more realistic than they were before so that you have a better chance of attaining them.

1. Bring your gym stuff with you.

Trust me this one is a game changer. You might give the “I live so far from Yates” excuse three out of the seven days of the week. But bringing your sneakers with you to class completely eliminates this excuse. Plus you’ll feel like you saved a ton of time without having to go back to your room before the gym. 

1. Find a buddy.

You’re not the only one who has new years resolutions in mind. Plan gym times with a friend who will help keep you motivated when you fall off track. And make sure you do the same for that person as well. Keep each other in check.

1. Get a list of class schedules.

I’m talking about group fitness class schedules. CorePower, Down Dog, Nike, Athleta, LuLu Lemon, Balance Gym and Yates all have deals on fitness classes that could get you started back up again. Check out their websites for their latest deals. Ps: a lot of them run free trail classes. Nike has a Monday night high intensity class that is equipped with a dj and Nike trainers. From experience, it is intense and you will be sore for four to five days but go at your own pace because it’s definitively worth it.

1. Rewards. Rewards. Rewards.

It’s only human nature to fall off track. Don’t be too hard on yourself. But don’t be too easy on yourself either. There is a fine line between discipline and laziness. But if you’re honest with yourself and you need a break, take one. Just always keep in mind your goals and whether your reward will have a significant impact on them.

Remember it only takes 21 days to develop a habit. Start now and in three weeks you’ll be proud of how far you’ve come.