Jack-of-All-Trades: Helen Brosnan

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgetown chapter.

Meet Helen Brosnan (SFS ’16)! This native New Yorker is a jack-of-all-trades. Ever wonder who organizes the events when Bono or Warren Buffet come to speak in Gaston Hall? Helen talked with Her Campus about serving on the Lecture Fund Board and other amazing groups on campus – her ambition is inspiring. 

What exactly is Lecture Fund?

Lecture Fund is a board of students that help put on speaking events on campus. Our responsibilities are twofold: we help individual students and organizations plan their events, while we also bring our own speakers. We help the University put on all of their major speaking engagements like Bill Clinton and Warren Buffett. We are non-partisan and entirely student run, and aim to put on a crazy wide range of events. Our main goal is to enrich everyone’s experience at Georgetown. That comes in many forms– bringing Bradley Cooper is obviously great, but sometimes bringing a world famous graffiti artist, although appealing to a smaller audience, is even greater. We always strive to have some sort of conversation and compelling dialogue happening on campus. Talking makes the world go round. As you can see by my long-winded answers…

How long have you been involved with it?

Since first semester freshman year. I’ve loved it from the beginning, but I definitely had a few too many “freshman moments” because first semester last year I was the only one in it from our year. I’ve learned that the humor of wearing a onesie in public wears off after about an hour, and that a golf party doesn’t mean dress up like Tiger Woods. Regardless, joining Lecture Fund was one of the best decisions I made here. I know everyone says this, but I really did meet some of my best friends through LF. Shameless plug (the bane of my Lecture Fund existence): we are currently accepting applications for new members! Applications are up on gulecturefund.com. Do it. 

In your opinion, who are the coolest speakers Lecture Fund has brought to campus?

Last year we brought James Carville, and while he is one of the most well-known political figures in the campaign world, he literally just stood up for 45 minutes and gave really, really good (but mildly insane) life advice. It was awesome to see someone of his stature be that honest. Another one of my favorites was Bono. He made Syracuse jokes, said he wanted to get a beer at the Tombs, and simultaneously convinced us all to dedicate our lives to service; is that real life? Two super cool speakers we have coming up are Jon Favreau on October 3, Obama’s famous speechwriter. And Alexis Ohanian, Co-Founder of Reddit, is coming to Georgetown again on November 16. I am a tech and politics nerd so this is all wildly exciting for me. 

What else are you involved in around campus?

I’m the Co-Chair for the Georgetown University Women in Leadership (GUWIL) first annual Summit. It’s taking place in April 2014, and I’m serious, it’s going to be so awesome. We already have a bunch of speakers locked in– famous actresses, politicians, tech geniuses, CEOs, and Miley Cyrus is doing a half-time show. Kidding about Miley Cyrus, but after her beautiful performance in the Wrecking Ball music video, who knows. I’m also helping plan TEDxGeorgetown this year, taking place on October 26, and it’s great because we have an insanely incredible line up of people giving TED talks. Oh, and I am an Orientation Advisor!

What’s a secret “gem” in Georgetown you love to visit, study or eat at?

I’ve recently been frequenting Jetties, which is technically in Foxhall. The Nobadeer (it’s Thanksgiving between 2 slices of bread…) on a kind of cold day is all I need in life. A bit further off campus, I’m addicted to weekend visits to Union Market. They have multiple artisanal cheese stands and industrial-sized bottles of sriracha. 

Lightning Round

Georgetown Cupcakes, Sprinkles or Baked & Wired?:

Baked & Wired– Large cup of Chaider, need I say more?

Dinner with any person, dead or alive:

This is two people but I feel like they basically come as a package. I have this recurring dream that Tina Fey, Amy Poehler and I are sharing a booth at a roadside diner together, splitting a milkshake three ways. I’m sitting in the middle. And Jimmy Fallon is scowling at us from another table. Most people would expect me to say Hillary Clinton for this question, but she has more important things to do.

Lounging on the beach or skiing double blacks?:

Beach with a new book!

Favorite movie:

Annie Hall or Moonrise Kingdom

Dream Concert: 

An outdoor Coldplay concert where Frank Ocean makes an appearance to sing Strawberry Swing and then Mick Jagger comes on and they sing Wild Horses together and everyone cries.