Georgetown Goodies: Tropical Cupcakes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgetown chapter.

Here’s another installment of dorm room cooking made possible by the oh so wonderful Vital Vittles. The other week it was cold out and I was missing the sunshine so I tried to replicate them through cupcakes. Not the easiest task, but still fun to figure out! The following pictures are the result of this brainstorm: banana cupcakes with coconut flakes, cream cheese frosting and toasted coconut on top. I picked up the banana cake mix, coconut flakes, frosting, tins and everything else at Vittles and was good to go.

For the cupcake itself follow the instructions listed on the cake box and add ½ – 1 cup of coconut to the mix depending on how much you want.

Let the cupcakes cool and frosting with a knife, twisting the cupcakes as you frost so it has a fluffy finish.

Toast some coconut on medium heat for five minutes or until golden brown. Sprinkle on top of the cupcakes and you’re good to go!

Some of the cupcakes were eaten; my friends were a bit hungry!

Catherine Murphy is a junior at Georgetown University.  She is majoring in Marketing in Georgetown's McDonough School of Business.  She is also planning on completing minors in English and Sociology.