Fashionably Rooting for the Home Team

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgetown chapter.

Sometime last semester, just for convenience, I decided to wear Nike shorts and a t-shirt with running shoes to Leo’s. At the time, I was unaware that such a simple, routine decision would cause quite a stir. Some of my friends, accustomed to my more “dressed up” look, picked up on my change of pace in wardrobe and badgered me with questions about whether I had just gotten back from the gym. For those of us who appreciate the time spent on putting together an outfit every morning, it is difficult to deny the sheer comfort and ease of throwing on leggings and a big t-shirts. Luckily, with warmer temperatures approaching and the fashion runways so fantastically guiding us, the sporty look has become surprisingly chic and has been added to the fashion trend vernacular. Here are my tips for pulling off this look even if you are more inclined to sun dresses and skinny jeans. 

[pagebreak]

1.)   Varsity 

Atlantic-Pacific

Atlantic-Pacific

Singer 22

Attending an all-girls school for my entire life unfortunately caused me to fall short in one particular area of fashion: varsity jackets. I stare with envy when I see students walking around campus sporting their alma mater’s colors with their big varsity letter plastered on the front. Because I’m somewhat of a poser, I’m a big supporter of this trend that can be dressed up or down. You can throw it over a pair of jeans or pair it with a bright skirt.

[pagebreak]

2.)   The Baseball Cap 

ASOS

eat.sleep.wear.

Song of Style

Wearing a baseball cap during the day at Georgetown is usually associated with one of two things: you really love Vineyard Vines or you haven’t washed your hair in a couple of days. Because I simply can’t write a post without mentioning the word leather once, one of my favorite bloggers rocked a leather baseball cap recently, and it convinced me that girls can cap it off merely because it makes good fashion sense. If you are particularly attached to whatever hometown team you cheer for or if you still have faith (after the devastating loss) in being a Hoya, sport your pride to cover up a bad hair day.

[pagebreak]

3.)   Neon Running Shoes

Fancy

As the drab, cold days seem to linger on, one thing seems to get me through: color. Nike seems to have perfected the neon look, but I am sure there are many shoe brands right behind it inching to catch up with this bright trend. There are few things that could better accompany your run (or fast-paced walk) to the monuments then these sunshiny cushions for your feet.

[pagebreak]

4.)   Twist Ties

Cupcakes and Cashmere

Back in the day when I played volleyball, one girl who played with her hair down continuously perplexed me. She might have been the only girl in the world who can do athletic things without putting her hair up. You can typically always find me with my hair grazing my shoulders, but on the occasional day where I don’t have time to tend to it in the morning, stylish twist ties offer a nice alternative.