The Do’s and Don’ts of Quick, Easy Skincare

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgetown chapter.

After having (almost) completed my first month of college, I can confidently say that there are still so many things that I have yet to learn.  However, I’ve quickly realized that despite the fact that on paper my schedule seems very open, I still find myself rushing from classes, to activities, to meals with little time left at the end of the day to even complete my homework. As someone who is constantly on the quest for the skincare routine that will help me attain a flawless complexion, I’ve noticed that since the start of college the time I’ve been putting into a self care routine that I once valued so highly has quickly diminished. Even when I can’t be putting the time that I’d like to into taking care of my skin, there are still a few vital do’s and don’ts that I try to follow in order to keep my skin, happy health and hydrated while keeping up with a busy schedule!

DO take your makeup off every night

I know that sometimes after a long night out, all you want to do is throw on some sweat pants and crawl into bed. However, taking the time to remove your makeup can save you the trouble of waking up with a new breakout in the middle of your forehead the next morning. Do yourself a favor by letting your pores breathe over night.

DO wear sunscreen daily

As young people, it can feel like we’re never going to age. However, your middle-aged self will thank you for at least trying to apply a facial sunscreen or a sunscreen/moisture combination daily.  Sunscreen application prevents wrinkles and other signs of premature aging; additionally, it protects your skin against the sun’s damaging rays, which can lead to skin cancer.

DO moisturize

I have dry skin, so moisturizing is an essential part of my skincare routine, but I know many people who believe they shouldn’t moisturize since their skin is on the oily side. By not providing your skin with enough moisture, it actually causes your oil glands to become more active and, therefore, produce more oil. Even just applying a light coat of moisturizer before you go to bed every night will help your skin stay properly balanced and hydrated.

DO drink water

Similar to the previous tip, drinking water helps keep your skin moisturized and clear. Most people (myself included) are constantly dehydrated, and as an added bonus, drinking more water provides so many other health benefits besides nourished skin.

TRY a quick facemask

While I don’t believe that this step is a necessary part in everyone’s quick skincare routine, I personally love a good facemask and would encourage everyone to try one. There are so many different varieties that target different aspects of skin health, and in addition to pampering your skin, facemasks are also relaxing and make you feel like you’re doing something nice for yourself. Most facemasks only take about 10-20 minutes and while you’re waiting for them to dry you can do homework or watch some Netflix. Two of my favorites are the First Aid Beauty Red Clay Mask and the Glamglow Flashmud Brightening Treatment.

DON’T pull or tug on your skin

I know that this one may seem pretty self explanatory, but be gentle with your skin! Pulling on it, especially around the eye area, can cause wrinkles in the future.

DON’T touch your skin without washing your hands

Again, another fairly self-explanatory one, but try not to touch your skin without first cleaning your hands. Before starting your skincare routine, make sure that you wash your hands and aren’t touching your phone too much; phones are covered in germs! Your skin will thank you.