The Braid and How to Wear It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgetown chapter.

A braid is one of my favorite hairstyles to do when having a bad hair day or when I feel like dressing up a hairstyle. Seeing that braids are so huge among college age girls it’s good to have different ways to wear them without it looking too routine!

The Braided Headband
Pull your hair into a high ponytail to get it out of the way but leave the sections of hair behind your ears untouched. Braid each section, and if you want something different feel free to fishtail it! Let your hair down and bring each braid over the crown of your head, securing with bobby pins. Arrange however you want to make it look like single or double headband.

[pagebreak]

The Regular Braid
The typical braid is the easiest, most simple braid to do. To spice it up, part you hair down the middle or side and braid the front sections of your hair. Braid the rest of your hair and pull it apart to give it that messy look. If you have bangs pull them out so they frame your face. 

[pagebreak]

The Side Braid
Fishtails are one of my favorite types of braids because once you get the hang of them they’re easy to do and if they’re messy they actually look better. If you don’t know how to fishtail, look up some videos on YouTube to learn, and practice. Once you’ve learned gather your hair to one side of your head and fishtail over your shoulder. After it’s done pull the braid apart to muss it up and if it’s too messy stick in a few bobby pins to clean it up.

Photo credit: inspirafashion.blogspot.com

[pagebreak]

The Braided Bun
Begin by sectioning off your hair into a middle or side part. French braid each side of the part and pull into a low, messy bun or a high topknot.

[pagebreak]

The High Ponytail
Before doing this flip your head over and either shake your hair to give it some volume or backcomb it with a brush. Pull it into a high pony but leave a 1-inch section out at the bottom of your hair. Secure this section right underneath the ponytail with a bobby pin and braid the rest. Wrap around the base of your ponytail and tuck it under with the help of a few bobby pins.

The Half Up – Half Down
Braid the front sections of your hair and secure with bobby pins or a ponytail. For a different take on this look begin by separating the hair into three sections for a braid but don’t braid it yet. Individually braid one of the sections, and then braid the three sections (one is a braided section) together and fasten it off!

The Milkmaid Braids
Separate your hair in half and arrange it in pigtail braids. Make sure each braid is behind each ear. Next take each braid and pull across the top of your head. Secure the ends with bobby pins. Repeat for the other braid. Loosen some of your hair from the front of your head so it frames your face.

Catherine Murphy is a junior at Georgetown University.  She is majoring in Marketing in Georgetown's McDonough School of Business.  She is also planning on completing minors in English and Sociology.