6 Friends You Make in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgetown chapter.

1. The Roommate

Your roommate was probably your first friend. Before you even got to school, you had awkward Facebook conversations about things like whether you need a floor lamp and whether your sleeping temperatures are compatible. The relationship moved quickly, so now you’re living together. It’s a big deal.

2. The Class Friend

The class friend is your companion for fifty minutes of an otherwise ordinary class. You complain about the work together, do the work together, and walk to and from class together. The only issue with the class friend is what happens outside of class. You never know what to say besides, “Have you done the homework yet?,” but you work amazingly well together.

3. The Party Friend

You always have fun with the party friend. You met at a party, so you end up going to parties together or seeing each other out again and again. The majority of your relationship is conducted between 9 pm and 1 am. You always see each other when it’s dark, so you’re always surprised when you see that the party friend also exists during the day.

4. The Food Friend

The food friend is one of your most important friends. This friend always eats with you and is the sole reason why you don’t eat every meal alone in the dining hall. Thank you, food friend.

5. The Instant Best Friend

This friend might also be the party friend, but however you met, it was magical. Upon meeting, you discovered your mutual love of a highly specific song/food/store/brand of sunglasses/whatever. Your bond only got deeper from there. You felt that you’d found your soulmate, and you’re suddenly making plans to get lunch and even go off campus together. Things are moving pretty quickly. Even if it doesn’t last long, you love your instant best friend.

6. The Friend You Never See

You met this friend during the first couple weeks of school, and you two clicked nicely. Unfortunately, your schedules are completely incompatible are your entire relationship consists of, “Hey!” It happens.

Sara Clark

Georgetown

Victoria is a senior at Georgetown University studying Psychology. She is a self proclaimed Pinterest enthusiast and health nut, who also enjoys running, yoga, baking, and anything outdoors.