This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

I myself use Snapchat, Instagram and Twitter every single day. Whether I’m posting stuff or just looking at other people’s posts, I am always using it. Recently I have realized it’s not good for my mental health. Snapchat is my most frequently used app, and it is the most unhealthy app I use. I am constantly looking to see if certain people answer me and if they don’t I get annoyed… which is ridiculous.

Celina Timmerman-Girl Taking Selfie
Celina Timmerman / Her Campus

I’m going to be taking a break, or at least try to, for a week and see how I do. I looked at my screen time and it is not good AT ALL. I’m only going to use iMessage and other small apps on my phone that aren’t really related to social media, and my computer for school work. I don’t know how long I’ll last, but I’m hoping after this small break I’ll realize that social media isn’t the most important thing in my life, and that I need to experience things in person and adventure more on my own instead of sitting around waiting for nothing.

Blonde Hair Blur Daylight Environment
Sebastian Voortman / Pexels
Social media has its blessings and its curses, and I want everyone reading this to try and do the same. If they too think social media is taking over their own lives, whether it’s a few hours not using your phone, or a few days, something to try and help steer away from using social media 24/7. 

xoxo!!

Always laughing!
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!