Why the Holiday Season is the Best Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Geneseo chapter.

It is officially holiday time. Well, it’s been officially the holiday season since the day after Thanksgiving for me, but for most people, it starts Dec. 1. Even more specifically, the holiday that is my absolute favorite is Christmas. I hardly celebrate Christmas for its actual religious reason, though. Instead, I engage in Christmas in the more common and capitalist sense and I am not afraid to admit it.

First off, everything is bright and beautiful. It’s always exciting to see who has the brightest Christmas lights on their house and whose Christmas tree is lit up the most. Not to mention that some towns and even companies host Christmas light shows which are just gorgeous. The colors and glamour of all of the lights really help push me through that seasonal depression that rolls around this time every year. They even have Christmas sweaters with lights on them, Christmas hats, Christmas stuffed animals and pretty much anything that can have lights on it, most certainly will.

Leading me to my next point, Christmas-themed clothing. It is the one other time besides Halloween that you can dress up in silly, non-traditional outfits and yet seem completely normal. I love buying the craziest Christmas sweaters, pajamas and onesies. I mean, what’s better than getting cozy in a fluffy Christmas onesie and drinking hot chocolate on the couch while watching Elf? Don’t even get me started on Christmas blankets. One of the first things I did after Thanksgiving was go to T.J.Maxx and buy myself a brand new fuzzy Christmas blanket. Did I need it? No. But did I buy it so confidently knowing it would make my life that much happier? Absolutely.

Next on my list of reasons as to why the holiday season (specifically Christmas) is amazing: the smell. I know that sounds super weird, but when I smell the holiday season I know exactly what it is. Like the smell of a real Christmas tree, the smell of fresh snow on the ground, the smell of cold air, the smell of fresh-baked cookies and the smell of holiday candles. Everything just smells like happiness when it’s Christmas or holiday-related.

Christmas-themed foods, music and movies are definitely some of the top reasons why Christmas is awesome. Gingerbread cookies, gingerbread houses, Christmas Starbucks drinks and the Pillsbury Christmas cookies. These are just a few of the many foods that make Christmas perfect. I mean, what else can you associate hot chocolate with if not Christmas? As for the music, most Christmas songs are a bop. They always get me in a happier and lighter mood and I honestly can listen to them on repeat without ever getting tired of them. And the Christmas movies that are made are some of the best in film history (maybe an exaggeration but I am feeling super excited about Christmas right now). I mean, these are all holiday classics that just elevate everyone’s mood.

Another thing I realized is that Christmas/holiday season allows for the most quality time to be spent with friends and family. Look at all the crafts that can be done together as a group, snow-globe making, Christmas cookie baking, decorating gingerbread houses, painting and decorating Christmas tree ornaments, decorating the house, shopping for gifts and even just watching Christmas movies together or making Christmas dinner. There is so much you can do to spend time with those you love, especially during the holiday season.

Saving the best for last, Christmas gifts. Who doesn’t like getting Christmas gifts? And as someone whose love language is giving and receiving gifts, this holiday makes it super easy. Personally, opening gifts at Christmas is the best part of Christmas. How great is it to tear off the wrapping and be overjoyed with what you got? Right after, you get to clean up then put away all of your gifts and be happy about what you got and what you got others. You also get to share that time seeing friends and family so happy and full of love.

Madison Centeno is a junior sociology and women's and gender studies major. When she isn't at protests or actively fighting for human rights, she is in her room studying or reading! She loves to write and share information about social injustices occurring worldwide. Follow her on Instagram @madisonrue190 to get to know her more!