Why Simone Biles Deserves All Her Recognition and More

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Geneseo chapter.

Five-time Olympic gold medalist Simone Biles has once again made history at the United States Gymnastics Championships in Missouri. 22-year-old Biles not only won her sixth national all-around title with a score almost five points higher than second place; she made history in her floor and beam routines.

Biles’ landing of the double-double dismount off the beam made her the first gymnast to ever attempt and land the move.

In addition to the stunning beam landing, Biles nailed her triple-double landing on the floor.

Biles has made a name for herself as a powerhouse gymnast, leaving herself to be one to watch in the 2020 Tokyo Olympics. Although her incredible gymnastics skills should be revered, Biles is not just an athlete. She is a strong woman fighting for victims of sexual abuse.

Biles got tearful just before the Championships, speaking out about former USA gymnastics team doctor Larry Nasser’s abuse toward her and other gymnasts. Biles criticized USA gymnastics for concealing the abuse the gymnasts were facing.

‘“You had one job; you literally had one job, and you couldn’t protect us!”’ Biles said to The Washington Post.

Biles used the press conference as a platform, speaking out about social media and the power it has to share stories. Biles spoke about the difficulty of returning to gymnastics after her break.

“It’s just hard. I’ll work through it. It’ll take some time. I’m strong. I’ll get through it. But it’s hard,” Biles told Post.

The strength Biles has shown by coming back to the sport, competing and sticking some of the most difficult tricks in history proves how incredible she is. Despite all the hard work and obstacles, Biles is chasing her dreams and speaking out against sexual abuse.

Maybe we all have something we can learn from Simone Biles.

Rebecca was the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Geneseo. She graduated Summa Cum Laude with a Bachelor of Arts in English (Creative Writing) and Communication. Rebecca was also the Copy Editor for the student newspaper The Lamron, Co-Managing Editor of Gandy Dancer, a Career Peer Mentor in the Department of Career Development, a Reader for The Masters Review, and a member of OGX dance club on campus. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @Becca_Willie04!
Jessica Bansbach is a junior psychology major who has more campus club memberships than fingers and toes. In her spare time, if she's forgotten that she's a college student that has more pressing matters to attend to (like, say, studying), she enjoys video games, thrift shopping, and ruminating. She was elected "funniest in group" by her summer camp counselor when she was nine and has since spent the next eleven years trying to live up to the impossible weight of that title.