This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Geneseo chapter.

Recently, a Rolling Stones article was released about Harry Styles, one of the former One Direction band members. Since I was (and still am) obsessed with the British artist, I am going to highlight my favorite parts of his interview and examine different sides of him. While he may have captured my heart as the former boy band heartthrob, he has a different artery of it now as a rock star.

His First Solo Album

“Harry Styles” is not my usual musical genre; however, Styles’ sultry voice and my love for him drove me to purchase the album and love it. I know I will always love what he puts out even though I was nervous at first. Of course, “Sign of the Times” became an instant favorite, but I also really loved “Two Ghosts” with its haunting lyrics. The other songs are also perfect. While his music is amazing, Styles is much more than an artist, and there are many more reasons why people should love him.

His Role in Various Projects

Styles was one of the co-chairs for the 2019 Met Gala in a stunning black lace number. Styles broke boundaries by wearing his sheer Met Gala outfit. He looked amazing and made a fashion statement. After all, he had to set the precedent as co-chair. In addition to making sure his outfit was amazing, he helped plan the event, from food to guests. That is cool in my eyes.

In one of my favorite videos of all time, Styles got hit with a volleyball by Michelle Obama. He was a guest on the “Late Late Show” with James Corden in the episode of the United States versus the United Kingdom volleyball game. Even though the U.K. lost, Styles still won in my eyes.

He tickled Van Morrison and killed at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. What man just tickles the great Van Morrison? Apparently, Harry Styles. That is what makes him great. He is unapologetically himself. I would not want him any other way.

His Reaction about One Direction

When I got to the part of the article about One Direction, my heart soared. Styles said he would be willing to do a reunion if the time was right (please!). Not only that, but he also did not blame the band for holding him back from following his musical passions. Most of the members had other interests than the amazing pop music they were churning out like clockwork.

“And I don’t feel like I was held back at all. It was so much fun. If I didn’t enjoy it, I wouldn’t have done it. It’s not like I was tied to a radiator,” Styles said in his Rolling Stones interview.

Styles could have taken the easy way out and said that he just felt like One Direction was not for him anymore, but he was grateful for his time in the band. He also clearly stated he liked it. Cue my internal swooning. Most of all, Styles still respects his former band mates for their shared dream.

I quite literally swooned again. I understand people grow apart. While I was devastated about the band’s split, especially when Zayn Malik left, reading Styles’ interview has helped me ease some of my unresolved feelings toward the split. I will still be blasting One Direction on full volume, but I get it now.

His Role as an Ally

Styles is definitely an ally for the LGBTQ community. At a concert, he helped a fan come out to her mother, and he handled it extremely maturely. The video was shown to the fan’s mom, and the reaction was amazing. If that does not show how much he cares about all people, then maybe his other involvement with the community will.

Styles has yet to put a label on his own sexuality, which I think is brave. I feel that labels have power, and he is holding onto his. Styles can be anything he wants to be, and I would still love him for it. As a famous artist, you are constantly in the spotlight, and he uses his platform to show his dedication for equality.

“Maybe at a show you can have a moment of knowing that you’re not alone. I’m aware that as a white male, I don’t go through the same things as a lot of the people that come to the shows. I can’t claim that I know what it’s like, because I don’t. So I’m not trying to say, ‘‘I understand what it’s like.’’ I’m just trying to make people feel included and seen,” Styles said.

Styles has also supported the Black Lives Matter Movement. He is an advocate for the end of gun violence, and he is a feminist.

“[Women] have that bullshit detector. You want honest people as your audience. We’re so past that dumb outdated narrative of ‘Oh, these people are girls, so they don’t know what they’re talking about.’ They’re the ones who know what they’re talking about. They’re the people who listen obsessively. They fucking own this shit. They’re running it,” Styles said.

Obviously, his view of women makes him an even better person in my eyes. As a strong feminist, I always love seeing men supporting women. Since Styles grew up with only women in his house, it is clear to me that he understands what feminism means. What is even better is that he thinks feminism should just be.

“I grew up with my mum and my sister — when you grow up around women, your female influence is just bigger. Of course men and women should be equal. I don’t want a lot of credit for being a feminist. It’s pretty simple. I think the ideals of feminism are pretty straightforward,” Styles said.

I am pretty sure you can all see the reasons why I love Styles, but hopefully you all see how great of an artist and person he is. I will be waiting with bated breath for his second album. If I know anything about Harry Styles, it will certainly be something.

Rebecca was the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Geneseo. She graduated Summa Cum Laude with a Bachelor of Arts in English (Creative Writing) and Communication. Rebecca was also the Copy Editor for the student newspaper The Lamron, Co-Managing Editor of Gandy Dancer, a Career Peer Mentor in the Department of Career Development, a Reader for The Masters Review, and a member of OGX dance club on campus. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @Becca_Willie04!
Jessica Bansbach is a junior psychology major who has more campus club memberships than fingers and toes. In her spare time, if she's forgotten that she's a college student that has more pressing matters to attend to (like, say, studying), she enjoys video games, thrift shopping, and ruminating. She was elected "funniest in group" by her summer camp counselor when she was nine and has since spent the next eleven years trying to live up to the impossible weight of that title.