This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Geneseo chapter.

Many years ago as a child, I did like Valentine’s Day, however I have started to hate Valentine’s Day. Valentine’s Day has been overrated. Handing out candy and being all lovey-dovey with your significant others is gross. No one wants to see PDA while being single and not having someone to be with on that holiday. Valentine’s Day is all about love.

Can we go back to just handing out candy? Why do you need to be in a committed relationship and need someone to enjoy the holiday? Valentine’s Day is one of the dumbest holidays that is celebrated as an adult. Why not give regular gifts, like Christmas or birthdays? What happens when you give flowers to someone not knowing that they are allergic? Well, you then let them have the allergy attack.

Valentine’s Day is the holiday if any holiday has to go. No one wants to be reminded that they are single and lonely. They teach at a young age you are going to want to have candy because you are going to be alone and depressed and need to have all the chocolate in the world just to get through the holiday itself. Not only are you lonely, depressed and eating candy, but you are going to be bloated and feel fat after all the candy you have by the end of the day.

But not only are brands trying to push self “love” and make people happy, it is just a profit for them. They don’t care about the holiday, just as I don’t. No one cares about a holiday where you just get flowers and flaunt your relationship status. It is an unnecessary holiday.

Madison Dedrick is the Treasurer for this group. She writes about opinions and what is going on locally. As well as opening the community and wanting to create a larger community. Such as writing about how to make fall and winter in upstate new york worth it. Beyond HER Campus Madison is part of the School of Education as a Senior Adolescent English program. She is also part of the Lamron in the news section. As well as being published three times in Teen Ink Magazine for a variety of different topics. In her free time, Madison loves spending time with her family and being outdoors with them. Also if she isn't with her family she is on the field playing field hockey as well.