Alex Trebek of Jeopardy
Alex Trebek of Jeopardy
CBS Television Distribution
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Geneseo chapter.

With the very unfortunate news of Alex Trebek’s passing this morning (Nov. 8), I can’t help but think back to every weeknight I’ve spent watching him host Jeopardy! with my parents. For as long as I can remember, it had always been my dream to compete on Jeopardy! and meet the famous Alex Trebek. I can’t name a single other game show host who has made such an impact on me.

To me, Jeopardy! has always been something special. My parents and I always compete to see who can answer the most questions correctly before the contestants, and that has been my favorite bonding activity with them for years. I have so many fond memories of playing along at home with them, watching Trebek enjoy himself while hosting. Unfortunately, because of college, I haven’t watched Jeopardy! with my parents in months. Sitting down every night to watch and play has been one of the things I miss the most about home.

There have been so many bad days I’ve had that have gotten better because of Trebek and Jeopardy!, and I am deeply saddened by the news of his passing. Trebek had been diagnosed with stage IV pancreatic cancer in March 2019 and had been battling it up until his death. He had been receiving treatment while continuing to host, and even published a book entitled The Answer Is…: Reflections on My Life.

Jeopardy!’s executive producer Mike Richards said in the company’s official press release, “This is an enormous loss for the JEOPARDY! staff, crew and all of Alex’s millions of fans. He was a legend of the industry that we were all lucky to watch night after night for 37 years.” I can’t agree more. Jeopardy! has always been a huge part of my life, and that won’t ever stop. While the press release also said that the company will not be announcing plans for a new host for the time being, I hope that the show will go on.

There are also no plans for a service at this time, but gifts in Alex’s memory can be sent to World Vision. My thoughts go out to his wife and his children. Thank you for so many memories, Alex. You’ve touched so many hearts over the years, and you will be missed greatly.

Nina Fichera is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Geneseo. She oversees meetings and writes about a variety of topics, such as music (especially K-Pop and Taylor Swift), her experiences as a hopeless romantic, what it's like for her as a writer, and other entertainment-based articles. Outside of Her Campus, Nina is currently a senior with a double major in English (with a Creative Writing concentration) and Adolescent Education (with an English concentration) as well as a minor in Human Development. She was the head fiction editor for the SUNY magazine Gandy Dancer in Spring 2023. In her free time, Nina adores writing to her heart's content, usually in the realm of fiction and fanfiction. She also loves cross-stitch, spending time with her friends, learning K-Pop dances, and reading.
Rebecca was the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Geneseo. She graduated Summa Cum Laude with a Bachelor of Arts in English (Creative Writing) and Communication. Rebecca was also the Copy Editor for the student newspaper The Lamron, Co-Managing Editor of Gandy Dancer, a Career Peer Mentor in the Department of Career Development, a Reader for The Masters Review, and a member of OGX dance club on campus. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @Becca_Willie04!