This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Geneseo chapter.

It’s a scientific fact that when you’re a kid, your brain is mostly goop with a couple of fizzling neurons that tell you to scream. Is it any wonder, then, that your younger self chose some pretty weird individuals to crush on? We turned to our Her Campus @ Geneseo correspondents to hear who the first object of their affections was–with special attention paid to fictional characters, because frankly, nobody cares about the time you were in love with David from Mathnasium.

Jessica Bansbach: Jake from Jake Long, American Dragon

(Source)

Anybody I’ve ever talked to about this show can’t remember a damn thing about it (aside from the whole young-boy-turns-into-dragon-superhero thing) nor recall a single episode plot point. What they do all remember, however, was this: thinking he was hot. Seems like none of us were immune to this Disney Channel hothead. I remember pulling a friend under the playground at my school to swear her to secrecy when I told her about my Long-ing (heh), seriously worried because I wasn’t sure how I was going to live out my life wildly attracted to someone who could never reciprocate my affections. In case you’re wondering, that problem has since resolved itself.  

Rebecca Hagan: Peter Pan from Peter Pan (1953, but also as a general concept)

(Source)

So I don’t know where my crush on Peter Pan came from, I have no memories of watching the Disney movie and swooning. However, I do remember being in fifth grade and having a very vivid dream that was my own variation on the Peter Pan story with me in the role of Wendy. After that point, I just had this deep emotional crush on Peter Pan. Admittedly a guy that brings with him the added perks of never having to grow up, the ability to fly, the possibility of befriending Tinkerbell and getting to fight pirates…what’s not to like?

Victoria Cooke: Molly MacDonald from Arthur

I think my first actual animated childhood crush was the vaguely butch bunny from Arthur.  She was a minor character, so it was rare that I got to see her. I just remember always having intensely weird feelings about her, especially since I could never exactly figure out her gender. I was often confused about why I was drawn to these kinds of characters. It all makes sense now.

Madeline Reichler: Kimiko Tohomiko from Xiaolin Showdown

I didn’t have cable as a kid so I could really only watch PBS and WB Kids. Kimiko was awesome; she had fire powers much like Azula from ATLA, who was voiced by the same person and who I would also have a crush on a few years later. I guess I had a type. What can you do?

Megan Kelly: L Lawliet from Death Note

L Lawliet from Death Note. Death Note was the first anime I ever got into, and L was also the first fictional crush I got. I don’t know why I liked him: maybe it was because he was a smart guy, or maybe it was because he had a strong sense of justice. Also, I guess he can be kind of cute, in a dreadfully tired sort of way. I spent most of my middle school days reading self-insert fanfics, dreaming of L. So when episode 25 aired and L died, I mourned more than when my IRL grandmother died (I still love you Grandma Sophie).

Follow Her Campus @ Geneseo on FacebookTwitterInstagram, and Pinterest

Jessica Bansbach is a junior psychology major who has more campus club memberships than fingers and toes. In her spare time, if she's forgotten that she's a college student that has more pressing matters to attend to (like, say, studying), she enjoys video games, thrift shopping, and ruminating. She was elected "funniest in group" by her summer camp counselor when she was nine and has since spent the next eleven years trying to live up to the impossible weight of that title.
Rebecca Hagan

Geneseo '19

Rebecca Hagan is a senior History major at SUNY Geneseo.
Victoria Cooke is a Senior History and Adolescence Education major with a Women's and Gender Studies minor at SUNY Geneseo. Apart from being an editor and the founder of Her Campus at Geneseo, she is also the co-president of Voices for Planned Parenthood and a Curator for TEDxSUNYGeneseo. Her passions include feminism, reading, advocating for social justice, and crafting. In the future, she hopes to inspire the next generation of history nerds and activists.
Madeline is a senior Psychology and Women's and Gender Studies double major at SUNY Geneseo. She is the President of the Pride Alliance, Assistant Coordinator of the Safe Zone program, and a Program Coordinator in the Office of Diversity and Equity. She may not have a lot of time to write, but she loves to contribute what she can to Her Campus Geneseo!
Megan Kelly is a psychology major at SUNY Geneseo. She enjoys writing articles about whatever interests her at the moment, so don't expect any consistency.