This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Geneseo chapter.

Getting your first bra is a right of passage for any women or women-identifying individual. Sometimes it’s good; sometimes it’s bad, but bras become a necessity for most women at some age in their lives.

Here are Her Campus at Geneseo’s first experiences with bras and how we were feeling.

Sydney Julien

I think my first bra was one of those like white trainer bras that’s pretty much a glorified crop top. Pretty sure I got them at limited too. 

Margaux Carmel

Like all the clothes I wore in my pre-teen years, my first bra was a hand-me-down from my older sister. To be honest I don’t even remember what it looked like, which I’m kind of thankful for.

Megan Kelly

I didn’t need my first bra really, but I demanded I get one because all the other girls needed one. I still barely need a bra.

Kayla Glennon

I don’t have a specific memory that comes with my first bra. I know I had little tiny ones until I suddenly needed bigger ones and my mom would say, “You need something to hold these puppies.”

Jessica Bansbach

I was the proud owner of a fully-branded, Walmart-originated Hannah Montana training bra. It had a little emblem of her guitar and not her face, thank god.

We hope your stories were as good as ours!

Sydney is a member of the class of 2020 majoring in International Relations and Political Science with a minor in French. She is also Vice President of Geneseo's club figure skating team and coaches local kids in the sport on the weekends. While she's not really sure where life is going to take her yet, she's optimistic about the future.
Margaux (they/them) is a senior Women and Gender Studies major at SUNY Geneseo. Outside of Her Campus, they work at Geneseo's Office of Diversity and Equity, is on the executive board of Pride Alliance, and is an active Safe Zone trainer. They love to write about diversity, mental health, and environmentalism, with the occasional goofy topic or two (or five). Margaux hopes to someday be the coolest gender studies professor you will ever have.
Megan Kelly is a psychology major at SUNY Geneseo. She enjoys writing articles about whatever interests her at the moment, so don't expect any consistency.
Kayla Glennon

Geneseo '21

Kayla is a junior English major who is optimistic but enjoys exploring lots of emotions, not just ignoring the "bad" ones. They love writing silly things but also being serious, because there are a lot of things that matter and need to be talked about, but giving yourself a break is important too. They love writing about literature but also coming up with ideas for stories of their own. Kayla is constantly just trying to be themself and trying to be around people that make them happy.
Jessica Bansbach is a junior psychology major who has more campus club memberships than fingers and toes. In her spare time, if she's forgotten that she's a college student that has more pressing matters to attend to (like, say, studying), she enjoys video games, thrift shopping, and ruminating. She was elected "funniest in group" by her summer camp counselor when she was nine and has since spent the next eleven years trying to live up to the impossible weight of that title.