My Mom Outed Me To All of Her Friends on Facebook, Here’s How That Went

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Geneseo chapter.

I have a special job pertaining to the LGBTQ+ community on the Geneseo campus. I am one of three people who updates the Geneseo LGBTQ+ website. In particular, I am responsible for rewriting the website’s articles and making sure that they are up-to-date with current LGBTQ+ values and terminology. My parents have always taken a great amount of pride (obligatory pun) in my work. Most recently, my mom reached out to me to congratulate me on how well put-together my article on “Coming Out” was, especially the section on outing.

She then proceeded to out me to all of her friends in a Facebook status.

This is the image she used in her Facebook update for the good news. Somehow a woman who just learned that gay women have an affinity for flannels last summer chose the gayest possible pictorial representation of me possible.

Now, to be clear, I don’t actually care all that much. I’m never going to meet half of the people my mom talks to on a daily basis, and I figure family gatherings can’t get much more awkward at this rate. And to her credit, she didn’t do it directly—she just posted an award-winning essay of mine that mentions several times over how gay I am. I just find the irony particularly funny. But do you know what’s even funnier? The way my mom’s friends responded to the news. Let’s explore their comments, shall we?

1. Yes, well, one could say that I’m into “girl power”

2) WHY ARE WE YELLING

3) We’ve got some high expectations in this house

4) Not sure why my aunt thinks me being gay means I’m going to beat the shit out of someone eventually

5) There’s a lot going on here

6) “Congrad…Baby…”

Well, at least it’s nice to have support.

Follow Her Campus @ Geneseo on FacebookTwitterInstagram, and Pinterest.

This is the anonymous contributor account.
Victoria Cooke is a Senior History and Adolescence Education major with a Women's and Gender Studies minor at SUNY Geneseo. Apart from being an editor and the founder of Her Campus at Geneseo, she is also the co-president of Voices for Planned Parenthood and a Curator for TEDxSUNYGeneseo. Her passions include feminism, reading, advocating for social justice, and crafting. In the future, she hopes to inspire the next generation of history nerds and activists.