Street Performers In The Park B&W 4
Street Performers In The Park B&W 4
Anna Thetard / Her Campus

Movie Soundtracks and Scores I Love

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Geneseo chapter.

I don’t know about you, but I love a great movie soundtrack/score. Here are some of my favorites- some with words and others are just instrumental (perfect for when you’re studying).

Dirty Dancing (1987)

This movie had a good mix of songs ranging from the 50s (a little bit before the film actually takes place) to the 80s itself. For a long time I was firm on “(I’ve Had) The Time of My Life” by Bill Medley and Jennifer Warner someday being my wedding song. And I’m still amazed by Patrick Swayze’s song on the soundtrack, “She’s Like the Wind.” 

Titanic (1997)

Titanic has been my favorite film for as long as I can remember. As with any great film, it must have a great soundtrack and Titanic certainly does. The music featured throughout is powerful. Of course, Celine Dion’s iconic “My Heart Will Go On” is the best part!

High School Musical (2006)

This soundtrack is the epitome of my childhood. This was before you could even buy things digitally on sites like iTunes. I remember going to the mall with my cousin when the CD first came out to buy it. We then sat in my grandparents’ basement and listened to it while singing along with the little booklet all CDs come with, with the song lyrics. Good times.

Mamma Mia! (2008)

I love ABBA! I grew up listening to them as my parents enjoyed their music so hearing the soundtrack versions for their songs is pretty cool.

La La Land (2016)

When I first watched La La Land, the thing that stuck out the most was, of course, the music. It’s different than any other soundtrack I’ve listened to. 

Bohemian Rhapsody (2018)

I love Queen! Even though this isn’t exactly an original soundtrack, it’s still a great compilation of songs that made a pretty great movie.

A Star is Born (2018)

I adore this soundtrack. It definitely reveals another dimension to Lady Gaga and her musical career thus far. This may be an unpopular opinion, but “Always Remember Us This Way” is a better song than “Shallow.”

Marriage Story (2019)

In my opinion, I believe Marriage Story should have won the Oscar this past awards season for this score. It’s such a beautiful soundtrack that truly made all the difference in the film.

Anything John Williams (Jurassic Park, Star Wars, Harry Potter, Home Alone- Love them all!)

John Williams is a legend. All of his soundtracks/scores will leave a lasting impact on the film industry and will continue to stick with audiences- from the iconic Star Wars theme over the opening scroll of the movies to Hedwig’s Theme from the Harry Potter films.

Happy Listening!

Emily Tsoi

Geneseo '21

Emily Tsoi is a Senior English major with a minor in Art History. She is an avid journal writer who has one too many rolls of washi tape. When she isn’t studying or journaling, she enjoys reading, watching 80s movies and going to baseball games.
Kayla Glennon

Geneseo '21

Kayla is a junior English major who is optimistic but enjoys exploring lots of emotions, not just ignoring the "bad" ones. They love writing silly things but also being serious, because there are a lot of things that matter and need to be talked about, but giving yourself a break is important too. They love writing about literature but also coming up with ideas for stories of their own. Kayla is constantly just trying to be themself and trying to be around people that make them happy.