Five Hobbies I Want To Try In My Lifetime

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Geneseo chapter.

I am a person with many hobbies, and I am typically very vocal about them! As you may already know, my hobbies include reading, writing, journaling, dancing, baking and my various environmental activities. I am very content with my hobbies but there are a couple I have always wanted to try. I’m hoping as I grow older and have more time, I’ll be able to try some of these things out!

cROCHET/eMBROIDERY

This is easily number one on the list. So many of my talented friends are able to crochet or embroider such beautiful things and I would love to be able to do that. Embroidery seems like a much harder option than crochet but I honestly don’t know enough about either of them to really say that. I’ve seen people crochet such cute things like bees and cute little hats and I wish I could do that! With this hobby, there’s nothing really stopping me from starting; I could just go buy the supplies and watch endless tutorials on YouTube but I think that’s for another day. For now I will just admire the crochet and embroidery craftsmanship from afar.

Playing the piano

I am not musically talented whatsoever, but I have always wanted to be able to play the piano. Now I have some musical experience, don’t get me wrong, I did play the string bass for five years. The fact that I was terrible at it holds no weight whatsoever. Anyways, this hobby is definitely less attainable since I would need a piano at my disposal but I also think this is the potential hobby I am most passionate about. I love the piano, I think it is such a beautiful instrument and it’s so versatile in the way you can play it. Even though I am not musically talented, I have many friends who are and I wonder if they’d be willing to teach me a few jingles on the piano. I just think it would be so fun to whip out a song on the piano as like a party trick. People would think you’re so talented and sophisticated! Maybe not, but I think you would at least look cool.

Rock Climbing

Okay, we’re adding in an element of danger now. I like hiking and I do a lot of it with my family, but rock climbing is another level. I’m not talking about rock climbing with ropes or stuff like that, that’s too far. I’m saying it would be really fun to go to like an indoor rock climbing gym and just have fun for a few hours. It’s great exercise, too! My partner’s school actually has a rock climbing gym inside of it, so maybe I should take advantage of that. I would eventually like to gain the confidence to do it on actually rocks but, yet again, I would have ensure that I was safe. Harnesses and ropes and safety nets are a must.

Glass Staining

This one might be a little bit out there, but I think glass staining is so cool. I actually think the whole process of creating anything from glass is amazing, but I don’t think I have the time or effort to do anything more than stain it. This would have to be a very dedicated process, but who knows, maybe when I’m old and retired I will have the time and money to stain a window or two. Glass staining, in my opinion, is one of the most beautiful art forms out there, and when the sunlight hits the glass and shines through with all those colors I find it to be absolutely mesmerizing. I would be amazed if I could ever create anything that beautiful but with the right tools and enough time, it really is possible!

Gardening

This is the only hobby on this list that I have dabbled in before. When I was really little, I had a garden at my grandparents house that they helped me put together and I would go over about once a week to take care of it. I loved that garden, but eventually I got too busy to take care of it. I’ve got quite the indoor garden growing in my dorm room right now, but I would love to have a massive garden with all kinds of fruits and vegetables at my house when I’m older. Having a garden that produces food is so cool, in my eyes. If you’re hungry you can just walk outside and pluck something of a plant and boom – you have dinner. I may have said this above, but I think I am most excited about this future hobby. As a biology student, I love being around plants and I’m constantly learning about the surrounding environment. I would love to be able to give back to the Earth in this small way.

This was such a fun article to write and I encourage everyone to take a look around and see if there’s any hobby you would want to get a jump on. It’s important to have little things that we can step away from the world and put care into!

Emma Belica

Geneseo '24

Emma Belica is a sophomore at Geneseo, she's majoring in both Biology and Sustainability Studies. She loves reading, writing, yoga, and the outdoors. She is also very excited to be here :)