This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Geneseo chapter.

I recently learned how to drive and I never realized how many things I would need in my car.  I like to be prepared, and it always seems that I don’t have the items that I need when I’m driving.  Here’s a list of handy things to keep in your car so that you’re never caught off guard!

1) Napkins and Tissues

(Source)

Always always ALWAYS keep some napkins and tissues close by when you’re driving.  You never know when someone might spill coffee or when you’ll unexpectedly develop a runny nose.  My pro-tip is to take extra napkins at restaurants so that you always have a stash.

2) Gum

(Source)

If you often go places and realize you still have coffee breath from th morning, you better hope you have a pack of gum in the car.  Seriously, you’ll be so thankful it’s there.

3) Sweater

(Source)

If you’re anything like me you often don’t wear a sweater because “a hoe don’t get cold.”  But then you get cold. Nothing will feel like a bigger lifesaver than a basic sweater that you can throw on with any outfit.

4) Oil

(Source)

Even if you don’t take long trips often, you should keep a few quarts of oil in your car so that you never run dry.  And if you don’t know how to add oil to your car, it’s time to learn ladies! In 2019 we’re independent women.

5) Umbrella

(Source)

Unless you live in a desert, it’s likely that you’ve been trapped in a car because it suddenly started down-pouring.  Avoid this situation by keeping an umbrella with you at all times!

6) Change

(Source)

Even if you have an EZ pass and don’t have to pay at tolls, it’s still possible that you might get stuck in a situation where you’ll need a few cents. Make sure you don’t get caught in a sticky situation with absolutely no money!

7) Reusable Bags

(Source)

Save the environment and keep some reusable bags in your car!  I always used to forget them at home until I decided to simply keep them with me in the car.

8) Hand Sanitizer

(Source)

Touching something germy or sticky is a very common phenomenon when you’re walking around in public.  Keep yourself from getting sick and put some hand sanitizer on your keychain or in your glove box. Another pro-tip is to refill your mini sanitizer bottles whenever you see big bottles of free hand sanitizer when you’re out and about!

9) Flats/Boots

(Source)

Sometimes I think that I can last an entire day at work in heels.  I’m always wrong. Leaving a pair of flats in my car has saved me more times than I can count.  Similarly, if you live somewhere where it snows or rain often, a pair of boots could be equally as useful. I like to wear flats or boots into the car so I can drive comfortably and then change into my heels/cute shoes when I arrive at my destination.  

10) Pen

(Source)

Somehow you always need a pen when you’re in the car but never seem to have one.  Make sure you have several!

I hope that these tips help you feel more prepared for any situation!

Victoria Cooke is a Senior History and Adolescence Education major with a Women's and Gender Studies minor at SUNY Geneseo. Apart from being an editor and the founder of Her Campus at Geneseo, she is also the co-president of Voices for Planned Parenthood and a Curator for TEDxSUNYGeneseo. Her passions include feminism, reading, advocating for social justice, and crafting. In the future, she hopes to inspire the next generation of history nerds and activists.
Jessica Bansbach is a junior psychology major who has more campus club memberships than fingers and toes. In her spare time, if she's forgotten that she's a college student that has more pressing matters to attend to (like, say, studying), she enjoys video games, thrift shopping, and ruminating. She was elected "funniest in group" by her summer camp counselor when she was nine and has since spent the next eleven years trying to live up to the impossible weight of that title.