Why you should watch Halloweentown this spooky season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

The month of October is widely known as “Spooky Season,” and an activity to do during this season is to get on your comfy clothes, grab some pumpkin flavored treats, get cozy and watch a movie. As fun as it is to get together and watch a scary movie, Disney’s Halloweentown series can get anyone into the Spooky Season. It covers all aspects of what makes the PERFECT Halloween movie series.

The series is about the Cromwell family, a family of witches who are all working together to fight the evil force that has taken over Halloweentown. Thirteen year old Marnie Cromwell is the main character, who is unaware of her family’s magical secret. It isn’t until Marnie overhears her grandmother (Aggie) and her mother (Gwen) arguing over the fact that Gwen hasn’t raised her children to be witches.

Marnie and her siblings (Dylan and Sophie) follow Aggie to the secret bus that travels to and from the real world and Halloweentown. The Cromwell siblings travel to Halloweentown unnoticed by their grandmother and when they make it to this new exciting place they are surrounded by anything and everything Halloween. They are greeted with creatures using magic. Marnie, Dylan and Sophie take their time becoming familiar with this new place, that they later will fall in love with and protect at all costs.

Aggie is a very familiar face to Halloweentown, and when it comes to her attention that her grandchildren followed her to Halloweentown she doesn’t send them home. She has spent years trying to convince her daughter to immerse the children in magic. Aggie is then under the impression that Halloweentown is under an evil magic that has thrown off the whole groove of things. Aggie then gives the play by play to her grandchild that they need to come together to learn magic and beat this evil that has taken over before the existence of Halloweentown is gone forever. The family comes together to fight against the force of evil and make Halloweentown home once again. They make various friendships and learn to appreciate this new and exciting part of their life. 

The Halloweentown series has the ideal Halloween aesthetic. The use of bright orange colors with hints of purple and lime green make the movies that much better. The iconic pumpkin in the center of Halloweentown is something so memorable and iconic to the series. Halloweentown also uses different kinds of creatures that aren’t your stereotypical halloween monsters. You don’t see zombies and headless horsemen walking around, rather colorful ghouls, ogres, witches and other various creatures. There are still different factors of creepy put into the movies to make sure the true spirit of Halloween is alive. The movie series also uses good examples of problem solving, the importance of strengthening friendships and working together as a family to make things right once again.

If you ever find yourself in the mood to get into the Spooky Season, grab some friends and dive into the world of Halloweentown.

Hi! My name is a Mollie writing has always been a huge passion of mine and I use it as an outlet to get all my feelings out. Some of my favorite things to do is spending all my money at Trader Joes, listening to music, singing, and drinking WAY too much coffee.