This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

To be a girl in today’s age is such a beautiful thing, but even more beautiful is to be a girl’s girl. A recent social media phenomenon, the term “girl’s girl” is used to describe women who support other women through every aspect of their lives, and not just the women directly in their lives either. Girl’s girls look out for all women regardless of relationship, and it is such an incredible movement to be a part of. The unwritten rule of having each other’s backs as women in today’s scary world is so reassuring and lovely.

However, there is a caveat. Just because you are a woman, that does not make you a girl’s girl.

As controversial as that statement might sound, it’s the truth. It is the whole reason the term even exists, because not all women equally support other women. It’s an unfortunate thing to come to terms with, but the reality of being a woman is that not everyone has your best interest at heart, even those who share your same struggles.

So, what makes a girl a girl’s girl then?

Anna Schultz-Girls Laying In Grass At The Park
Anna Schultz / Her Campus

Girl’s Girls are Listeners

Today, there is a lot of undeserved shame and hate constantly projected onto women. As a result, it is hard to find safe spaces to express yourself freely these days. Girl’s girls are safe havens to feel and say anything and everything around when you need it.

They listen with love and compassion and are slow to judge. Any and all emotions are valid in the presence of a girl’s girl, whether the logic is present or not. They lead with empathy instead of judgment to start. This does not mean it is okay to let things slide, it just means that girl’s girls are safe spaces to go to when in need.

Girl’s Girls Hold Each Other Accountable

As previously stated, girl’s girls do not let things slide. While listening and holding empathy, girl’s girls also need to be there for one another to hold each other accountable. Growing together as women is an important feature to have in friendships as we enter adulthood. While being a safe space for one another, it is important to call one another out when needed. Nobody is perfect, and everyone makes their fair share of mistakes in life. Girl’s girls are here to go through and grow through all of that together.

Girl’s Girls are Inclusive/Aware

One of the more hurtful parts of girlhood is witnessing others snub you or even make plans directly in front of you without involving you. While it isn’t always intentional, it doesn’t mean it is okay to do this to each other. Girl’s girls are aware of their surroundings and each other, and they do their best to make sure no one feels like they are on the outside. They are constantly looking out for one another and checking in on each other. Girl’s girls don’t leave each other behind, but instead welcome each other with warmth and open arms.

Girl’s Girls Put Each Other First

At the end of the day, the girls have to come first. Obviously, this is different depending on the relationships in your life, but it is a good rule of thumb to stick to. If they’re out and about, girl’s girls will watch out and protect other girls from harm. If a girlfriend just got her heart broken, prioritizing the way you support her comes first and foremost. If it’s been a while since you’ve spent some quality time with a friend, it might be more important to prioritize that friendship over other opportunities when you get the chance. In a nutshell, girl’s girls think of each other first.

While the list of what qualifies a girl’s girl could go on and on, these are just the major indicators that come to mind when creating friendships with women. Hopefully, this guideline of qualities might help you decide how you want to show up as a girl’s girl, as well as give you a guide on how to develop friendships with the right women who can treat you with equal love and respect.

I am part of the Her Campus GCU chapter as a social media team member! I post on Facebook, Instagram, and Tiktok once a week :)