This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

The school year is a stressful time for most college students, and it is easy to forget to focus on and take care of yourself. There are very little opportunities to take time to yourself and to sit down and truly assess how you are feeling and how you are doing, but spring break is the perfect opportunity for you to do these things. Here are a few ways how you can do this!

One way that you can focus on yourself is by taking some time to do the things you love that you don’t typically have time to do during the school year. It doesn’t matter what you decide to take the time to do as long as it is something that makes you happy and is not something that stresses you out. Spring break, even though it is only a week long, is a time meant for you to be stress free and let go of the pressure you constantly feel during the school year. You can also decompress by spending some time outside relaxing by the pool or going on a hike in order to get some exercise.

This week long break is also a great opportunity for you to spend some quality time with your family and friends that you don’t normally get to be with while you are away at college. No matter if you see them every weekend already or haven’t seen them in months, this is a great opportunity for you to create new amazing memories that you can hold onto when things get tough when you return to school. You can spend time by going on trips together, watching movies, or even just spending time talking about memories and things that you have missed in each others lives since you last saw one another. Your friends and family are the people that you will lean on when things get tough, and it is important that you spend time with each other so you can be there to support them and they can be there to support you whenever each of you need it.

You should also spend some time reflecting on your mental health and how you are feeling. You can try to take some time everyday to journal and write out things you are grateful for, things you struggle with, or just things that are happening in your life and how they make you feel. You can also spend some time on self improvement by listening to various great podcasts or reading some self help books. If you are feeling that it is time to change things up in your life, an easy and fun way to do this is by cleaning out the things in your closet that you no longer wear and going to the mall to find some new clothes that make you feel great and prepare you for the summer. You can also change up your look by getting a haircut, dying your hair, or getting your nails done. By doing this you can go back after spring break feeling refreshed and confident to end the year off on a great note.

Overall, many people think that spring break is just a week where you don’t have homework or school, but what they don’t realize that is that it is your opportunity to refresh and reinvent yourself, improve your relationships with the ones you love, and go back to college a stronger version of yourself that can finish the year off on the right foot.

Hey! My name is Rachael Jasinski and I am a sophomore at GCU majoring in professional writing for new media! I enjoy hanging out with friends, writing, and watching Netflix original movies! I am beyond excited to be part of the HerCampus GCU team and hope you all enjoy my articles! :)