This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

Thanksgiving has come to a close and that means Christmas is on the way. Every college student is looking at their calendar and realizing they only have two or three weeks left before finals come crashing through the door. This can be a stressful time for all and that is understandable. Endless hours of studying and writing papers can take their toll on anyone, and just thinking about it sends a pit into your stomach. Why should these tests lead us to be anxious beyond belief? There are ways to decompress laid out below:

Taking a break is essential. Letting your mind release itself from the endless hours of cramming formulas or word categories into it could be the most important part. When taking a break, try and do something relaxing. Don’t go turn the TV on or scroll through social media accounts. Maybe take a walk, even if it is just around your campus because getting up from the position you have been sitting in for a while and moving around can release the knot in the back of your head. Walking or running can also release endorphins which can ease a stressed mind.

Getting enough sleep. Sleep is probably the most important thing to do year-round. However, around this time of year, it is even more important. Sleep is a vital part of keeping the human body healthy. If one stays up all-night-long playing video games after a day of studying all they will be doing is destroying their immunity during the time they will need it most. Make sure to allow enough time at night for at least eight hours, especially the night before your exams.

Eating right. College seems to be the place where ramen noodle and craft mac and cheese reign. However, eating healthy is good for your immune system. If you do nothing but eat junk food the week of finals, you’re not going to feel good during them. I’m not saying go and buy a grain bowl every night but try and balance your diet during finals week so your immune system can stay strong and your body can push through finals week.

Reading. One thing that has always helped me during a particularly stressful study period is while I am on a break, I will go sit somewhere quiet maybe with a cup of coffee (or whatever you prefer to drink) and read a book. It sounds old school I know, who reads anymore? Nevertheless, I have found that escaping from the world of studying into an adventure or a romance seems to be the best kind of medicine. It takes your mind off of the million other things going on around you and centers you on one object. It has proven much more relaxing than anything else I have ever done to wind down from studying.

Finals can be stressful and that is understandable. You don’t have to take the advice given above but I have found that if these things are done during finals week one’s mental and physical health are always better. I wish you all the best of luck on your finals and keep your eyes on the horizon for the new year!

My name is Lauren Kohut and I am from Colorado Springs. I love all things written. When I am not writing, I am reading or hiking through a backwoods trail in the Colorado mountains and the Arizona foothills. I am a wannabe country girl and if I could I would spend all my Saturdays on a dirt road blasting Scotty McCreery. I love to write and am super excited to be writing for HerCampus!